• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

STRIKEMASTER////SINGLE BLADE CHIPPER OR LAZER MAG

iceteamdreamer

WONDERING IF ANYONE OWNS A STRIKEMASTER SINGLE BLADE CHIPPER? AND IF THEY DO IS IT WORTH THE MONEY OR IS THE LAZER MAG THE WAY TO GO? GOT BABY COMING ANY DAY AND TRYIN TO GET BY WITHOUT SPENDING A MILLION BUCKS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

I have the Lazer Mag Express. I've had it about 4 years now with no problems at all...still cuts like a dream. But to be fair, I'm not one of those guys making the ice look like swiss cheese each time I fish! wink.gif

It depends on if you are going to be redrilling holes. Typically, if you are redrilling the same hole get a chipper; if the holes will always be new, get the shaver blades. I have the mag2000 (1 chipper) and my father in law has the lazermag (2 shaver), and I __LOVE__ using his auger compared to mine; way less work to open new holes. Weight and powerhead are more or less the same. If I had it to do over again I'd get the lazermag.

I have the MAg 2000 chipper and while I love this machine, I am considering buying the lazer attachment for mine. Brother in Law has one on his, and wow is it nice. Either way they are good machines. If you just drill a few holes get the chipper, for the money you can't beat it. If you tend to drill a lot of holes the speed of the lazer might be more of your style. grin.gif

I have a Strikemaster Mag 3000 - 3HP, 10.25" chipper setup. It's a brute. I bought mine for $125 a few years ago used. It is a pain to drill a lot of holes when ice-roaming with it compared to the shaver blade units.

However, for re-opening holes in a permanent, the chipper blade is the only way to go, a shaver blade will jump around and trash those expensive blades if you try to reopen a hole. The chipper just mows through whatever is there.

I'm planning to get a shaver blade for it, so I can switch between them, they will fit.

No matter where or who you buy your Strikemaster from, the folks in Big Lake at HQ are always there to help, and you can walk-in anytime. For this reason alone, I will only buy a Strikemaster.

I've used an old single blade chipper for years (a friends) and it's worked great. Because of that I just went out and bought a new Mag 2000 and have had no issues. I drill quite a few holes and I'm not overly concerned with speed, so it works great for me.

Well, I am one of the people that do make the ice look like swiss cheese when we fish. There are times when we are scouting that we will drill 100 holes a day/per auger...no kidding. I have the Lazer Mag and am on my 3rd year with the same blades and am probably approaching 2000 holes. The key is not to drill in dirty ice which severly will limit the life of your blades. Just in case I always do carry a spare set of blades.

Good luck on your decision.

I currently use a 8" chipper. Compared to my dad's 10" lazermag, it is painfully slow... I will be replacing my auger probably next winter with a lazermag auger and blades. It makes a big difference if you move around a lot.

If you like to sit in one or two spots the whole day, then I suppose it's not a big deal to use a chipper auger.

THANKS FOR ALL THR INPUT FELLAS! 2 OF THE GUYS I GO FISHING WITH ALOT ALREADY OWN S.M. AUGERS. I HAVE ANOTHER FRIEND OF MINE WHO HAS LOANED ME HIS AUGER LAST 2 YEARS CUZ HE WAS WORK ON THE ROAD. IT HAPPENS TO BE THE JIFFY STEALTH STX 3 HP. LOVE THAT AUGER BUT I DONT OWN A WHEELER SO I WALK ALOT. TRYING TO CUT THE WEIGHT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I AM A FIREFIGHTER AND WE HELD A TOURNAMENT 2 YRS AGO AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE GUYS WHO OWNED S.M. AUGERS. QUIET, RELIABLE AND VERY FAST. NOTHING AGAINST JIFFY, THEY MAKE A GREAT AUGER JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE TO THE S.M. THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!