• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab chewing things in garage

night bite

I have a lab that i leave in the garage when im at work. he is about 7 months and the firsts couple of months he was just fine. now he chews the carpet i have in the walk way and it is all ripped up. also the other day when i came home he had ripped the garage door up not all the way but in to the insulation. any suggestion on what to do so this dosent continue would be great. thanks

I'll say it again. Kennel. Its not cruel if you use it appropriatly. Make it his home. My pup is almost 7 months and has only chewed up a magazine. Otherwise he is always given proper toys for chewing and kept in the kennel when I can't supervise him.

At the age your pup in he has to learn the "ground rules" as I call them. This is one, letting him know what he can chew on. Like said above get him some acceptable chewing toys or bone and put him in a kennel. They end up liking it and it makes them feel safe. My pup who is 2 now does not mind being in his but now the only time I have to put him in it is when I go up to the cabin or hunting. I have 2 of them and just leave one in my room with the door open and alot of the time he will go in there by himself to sleep.

GooD Luck wink.gif

Yup, crate him. Giving him the run of the garage may sound like a good idea but it is in his best interest to contain him. Make sure the container is up off the floor of the garage. There are some threads here in regards to housing dogs in garages.

I would suggest using a crate. When my lab was a pup she did not want to go in her crate at first, but now at 1.5 years old she knows that routine. when i start to put my work shoes on she runs to her kennel and lays down no questions asked. when she is tired and i cant find her thats the first place i look and shes in there catching some zzzzz's