• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 volt LED lighting for Fish Trap

LoneRanger

I have a Fish Trap Guide (2 man) and I want to run LED lighting off a 12 volt Vexilar battery because they are cheep, long lasting, and rechargeable. I am thinking of attaching a couple of strips to the crossbars and running the wires to the battery. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions on materials or methods? Less money is better, but I don't want to put in junk. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Quite a few forum members have done that, including me. I bought my LED lighting from BestHonLED. The strips are only 16" long but light up my Otter Cottage beautifully. The downside is that once ordered, they take about 2 weeks to arrive. But the price is right and they are waterproof and quite bright. Also, they can be connected directly to a 12 volt DC power source. Sorry, I can't post the link, it is against forum rules.

That sounds great. Don't worry about the link, I can just look them up on the net. Would you go brighter or a different color if you did it again? Has anyone else done this and what were your experiences?

LoneRanger, the link to that previous thread posted by PierBridge has some good information and pictures. I think my 1 string of lighting is perfect for my portable, I guess if I had a larger house, I'd maybe put in two strings. I got part number BEC0601090. About the only complaint I have (besides taking 2 weeks to arrive) is that the wires are kind of thin and I soldered some heavier stuff to them so it would be easier to attach alligator clips.

If you want cheap and easy - Try the First Ice brand 4ft LED rope lights at Gander. They're $14.99 and come with alligator clips to hook up to spare vex battery. They cover the roof of a Fish Trap Pro perfectly... stick them through the velcro's on each side and a ziptie in the middle. 30 second install. Bright enough to fish without another light source but I still use my gas lantern as well for the heat.

Just thought I would let you guys know how my search for lights is going. I am going with Best Hong Kong because I already have 12 volt rope lights and I am not impressed at all.

I contacted Best Hong Kong and they said they can put Warm White LEDs in a waterproof 12 volt strip. I have done my share of LED research and Warm Whites seem to have a nicer, more incandescent-like light instead of that harsh bluish white that normal white LEDs have. Anyone else considering puting LED strips in their house should consider it. When I finally do get them I will have to take a pic and post it.

Later,

Dan

I got 2 strings, this is pasted from my email invoice:

2 x LED Tube, Flexible & Water Proof in White, 48cm (BEC0601090) = $27.02

------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Air Parcel (Ship Registered air with Tracking): $5.48

Sub-Total: $27.02

Total: $32.50

LoneRanger, While I admit that my lighting has a subtle bluish cast, I wouldn't term it harsh at all. You'd probably be very happy with some of their stock LEDs. Maybe one of the FMers with the HonLED lights lives close enough to you that you could take a look before buying.