• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you do to stop Tip-up Line from cutting into your fingers?

Shawnny B

I was out last weekend on a smaller lake and caught a nicer northern, but she pulled something fearce! I managed to get one of those nice line cuts right in the crease of my finger! mad.gif Boy did it hurt for some time. I dont like wearing Gloves on my hands when I am checking my tip up and fighting a fish. Is there anything that you guys do besides wear gloves? I know I will be up at the Burntside bash and if I get a laker on the line I might be regreating it!

thanks for any information/tips you may have

ShawnnyB

If you are getting cut in the same spots all of the time, why not loosly wrap the joint with tape prior to fishing? That way there is something there to prevent the line from digging in and you still have your fingertips for knots, ect.

Most people when they are pulling in a fish on a tip up, Pull the line in hand over hand. when I set the hook I hold the line between my thumb and finger and use my other hand to pull the line in. the hand holding the line never moves. that way when the fish runs I can loosen or tighten my fingers on the line creating more or less drag. this also helps keeping your line from getting all tangled up in a mess on the ice.

Quote:

Rig your tip-ups with a coated tip-up line and tie a heavy (25 lb Fluorocarbon) leader to the tip-up line. The coated line does not cut your hands and doesn't tangle as easily.

This is exactly what I do with my tip-ups and rattle reels.

Works great for walleyes,pike, and lakers.

Cliff