• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Shawnny B

What do you do to stop Tip-up Line from cutting into your fingers?

I was out last weekend on a smaller lake and caught a nicer northern, but she pulled something fearce! I managed to get one of those nice line cuts right in the crease of my finger! mad.gif Boy did it hurt for some time. I dont like wearing Gloves on my hands when I am checking my tip up and fighting a fish. Is there anything that you guys do besides wear gloves? I know I will be up at the Burntside bash and if I get a laker on the line I might be regreating it!

thanks for any information/tips you may have

ShawnnyB

War wound brother, wear your band aid like a metal on your chest. I'm sure there were plenty of other of fisherman on your lake that would of enjoyed a nice cut on the hand for a fish.

If you are getting cut in the same spots all of the time, why not loosly wrap the joint with tape prior to fishing? That way there is something there to prevent the line from digging in and you still have your fingertips for knots, ect.

Let me pull those northerns up for ya. I dont mind a little cut once in a while.

at least you can soak your finger in ice cold water after a cut like that.

Try using Mechanics gloves. They are not the warmest, but will protect your hands while maintaining dexterity and feeling. Can still fit a pair of chopper over them too.

Ice Armor gloves. They keep your hands warm and dry and protect you from cuts.

AQUAJOE grin.gif

Rig your tip-ups with a coated tip-up line and tie a heavy (25 lb Fluorocarbon) leader to the tip-up line. The coated line does not cut your hands and doesn't tangle as easily.

Quote:

You get one of those tip ups that use a rod & reel.

where do you get those at?

Most people when they are pulling in a fish on a tip up, Pull the line in hand over hand. when I set the hook I hold the line between my thumb and finger and use my other hand to pull the line in. the hand holding the line never moves. that way when the fish runs I can loosen or tighten my fingers on the line creating more or less drag. this also helps keeping your line from getting all tangled up in a mess on the ice.

Quote:

Rig your tip-ups with a coated tip-up line and tie a heavy (25 lb Fluorocarbon) leader to the tip-up line. The coated line does not cut your hands and doesn't tangle as easily.

This is exactly what I do with my tip-ups and rattle reels.

Works great for walleyes,pike, and lakers.

Cliff

Get your hands around the working end of a pick or shovel for a month prior to the ice season and your less apt to suffer line cuts

I wear a glove made by Laker. Thin cloth with rubber coating on the palm and fingers. Kinda like work gloves.