• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice plastics?

bgreen82

was wondering if some of you experts could give us a refresher course on some good plastics to use on the ice in different situations for panfish. are good summer plastics still good on the ice? i bought a bunch of micro shad after i saw the bull gills HSO show with matt johnson(my fav. vid on here yet i think). will these work now or should we be changing it up.

Brian

Those summer panfish plastics will definately work under the ice.. The larger profile works wonders while on a hot bite, that we see during early and late ice... One thing is for sure, the little larger plastics do help us key in on the bigger fish as well... So when in a school of mixed sizes of 'gills or crappies, beef up your offering to keep the little guys off.. smile.gif

But for the most part, as winter wears on from first ice.. Micro plastics really do shine over the bigger profiles for me... A lot to choose from out there.. But personally, my mainstay of plastics comes from Lindy and Little Atom...

Killers for me from Lindy are the Micro Minnow, Split Tail, and Sticko... And from Little Atom you gotta have the Nuggie and Wedgie... A few neutral colors and a few bright and or glow colors should get you going... Each have different movement and give a different profile.. Just use them and you will see results.. Also, do not forget to think outside the box when fishing with plastics... Rig em differently and try different things when things are slow.. you might be suprised in your results..

What he said! smile.gif

Also, don't be hesitant to tip your lure with a eurolarvae or two. Sometimes, you need the plastic in conjunction with meat to catch fish. Sometimes, the plastic alone will do.

I think a great plastic to start building confidence with is the Custom Jigs Ratso. Its a horizontal bait with a little plastic tail. I caught lots of pannies last winter on the Ratso but have been playing with more Little Atom stuff this year.

I've found that plastics have added a new level of interest and fun to my panfishing.

I a huge fan of the Shrimpo tipped with a euro larva. If you run into a school of tight lipped crappie they just can't resist inhaling one of these. For sunfish I’ve had more success with the Ratso the horizontal brother to the Shrimpo.

Some awesome options already mentioned, no doubt about that!

The Exude Micro Shad will definitely work below the ice, as will the 2-inch Berkley Power Minnow. Both of which are great choices for horizontal minnow presentations. A great substitute for live-bait and they can be more effective at times as well.

The Ratsos and Shrimpos are another one I use on a regular basis. The size 6 and 4 Ratso being my favorite. Glow Pink and Glow Blue.

Little-Atom also has a line of plastics that have earned a spot in my arsenal. The Nuggies, Wedgees and Micro-Noodles are my favorite. White, Glow, Bubblegum, Red, and Black are my go-to colors.

Lindy plastics are nice too, all of which glow and definitely have their place and time.

I also bring out an assortment of my open-water plastics too. Like tubes and other tails and such. Don't over-look these plastics for ice fishing. Up-sizing is the name of the game oftentimes when you're chasing crappies...

Wasn't going to share this, but what fun is that? So here goes. Before fishing Milles Lacs for the first time, 3 years ago, I read alot about the perch in the mud flats. I also knew I wouldn't be having any wigglers along, but when I saw the Berkley 1" power nymphs in the store I wanted to try them. It paid off for me as I caught as many Jumbos on those as my friends did on minnows. Just got back from my first couple hours ice fishing for the season and caught my biggest crappie and my only perch on the nymph. They wouldn't touch spikes, but caught a few on waxies.

Now if we can get a bait that looks like those tiny hair-like worms that were in the perchs' mouths on Milles Lacs.

Just felt the urge to share,

Steve