• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New car/truck???????

MIKE IN lINO III

Question

The race Neon took a dump and it's time for a new vehicle.

I'm looking for some ideas for the best work vehicle.

I drive 64 miles a day to work and I am looking at buying NEW. I don't want to deal with potential problems with a used vehicle. Like I said I was driving a Neon but I might be leaning towards a small truck.

The last vehicle I bought was a 3/4 ton F250 Diesel, this is my go to truck so I just need something for Monday thru Friday.

Lets hear the pros and cons and your opinion of the best quality vehicles out there.

Thanks,

Mike

after reading all the comments. I think people should think long and hard before buying a foreign car-truck.. after all we don't see any of that money here in the states. you are all on this fishing HSOforum and yet saying buy foreign.. I am a big fan of american made, built and enginered products. You can find a great gas mileage car for a reasonable price for instance, the Dodge neon, Dodge caliber, Saturn series, Chrysler Sebring and stratus... plus repairs are easier and cheaper..

It may not be alot, but buying america will lead to better econimic growth- thus making your land a better place to fish- hunt, not for you only, but your family.

Unfortuneately hamrej23, the manufacturer with the most usa parts is the Nissan. I would guess that just as many "foriegn" cars are manufactured by Americans in America as ther are "domestic" car. So that money does go back into our economy through the employment of Americans building Foriegn cars on domestic soil.

I don't want to turn this into a foriegn/domestic argument!!! I do remeber reading something about Chevy trucks being the product of 27+ different countries. On top of that look at how many "domestic" vehicles are produced in Mexico and Canada!!!

If the domestic companies wanted my business than they need to step up to the same plate that Toyota and Honda have been batting off for many, many years!!

Another thing about the Dodge Neon. I don't know about the newer models, but the earlier ones had Mitsubishi motors in them. I get so sick of hearing the buy "American" statement! I heard that Toyota is one of the top employers in the U.S.

My wife had a toyota solara that was more american made than my chevy pickup. Taking all parts originations and final assembly into consideration and putting it into a percentage that was posted on the sticker of each vehicle.

I also don't buy the arguement that the money doesn't stay here, what does it matter if it goes to a small group of wealthy corporate monsters in Detroit, or Tokyo? If the company employees Americans, it is good for our country's economy. O.K. I am done with my rant.

I recently bought a Honda Ridgeline and all I can say it is the most amazing truck I have ever driven. It is our second Honda. We have an '04 Oddysee and it has never seen the shop. It just runs and runs.....they are amazing products. Something to look at when thinking of getting a new car or truck.

I'm in favor of the new 07 camry's. Nice powerful V6 with real good mpg's. Not many 260hp+ V6 sedan can attain 31mpg hwy. Foreign or domestic, doesn't matter, you're gonna be paying for it, so buy for what suites you best whether it be a $13k dodge neon or $90k lexus ls460. What you need to do is know what size you want, class or type of vehicle and research what's on the market. Do some comparisons of each class/category of cars. What their specs are, is it visually pleasing to you as an owner. remember, you are paying for it, not me, them or anyone else. People tend to suggest what they have or have had. Good luck.

well i have been in the american car business for a while. The parts may be put together in america but they are not from america. the econonomic growth will go oversees if you buy a new foreign vehicle== no if ands or buts. and no- chevy parts are not from over 20 countries..

i guess i am not like alot of you guys in buying an american based product.

as soon as the "american made" cars match the durability and reliability of say, Toyota, I'll buy one. I put a ton of miles on with my job and can't afford a vehicle that can't match the durability of Toyota. In our fleet of cars, Ford and GM don't even come close to the reliability of Toyota.

We're not gonna get into the "where the profits go" as I'm pretty sure the computers we're typing these messages are a mix of foreign and domestic parts. The auto industry is a global market not a US market. I'm also pretty sure when someone buys a vehicle, the big wigs gets all the profits. Toyota is on track to overtake the auto business as the worlds biggest auto maker. If gm and ford dwindles and loses, toyota just might buy them so your(meaning everybody) next new truck may just be called the toyota f150 or toyota silverado. So it probably won't even matter if you bought a domestic. Ok, I'll quit before it gets too antsy in here.

Thanks for all the input. After thinking about it for awhile I will be getting a toyota. Now, I have given it some more thought and figured it's just a commuter car so why buy new. I've been looking at the usual car sites and there is nothing but Dealers selling cars. Doesn't private parties sell cars on these sites anymore? I've checked the news papers and still nothing but Dealers. Where does a guy go to get pivate party sales??? Anyone have any ideas??

Mike