• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Drivers, the SB trails are not for you (in most cases)

Hammer Handle

The key is...check first before you drive.

The ones all around me do not allow ATVs. The day that the trail thru my land allows ATVs, I will close it down.

Sorry, but the ATVs tear up the land way too much.

Snowmobilers are getting out of hand too and going off the path. I used to like the trail thru my land, but due to a few bad apples that need to "race" off the path (and killing my recently planted trees), I am getting pretty fed up.

That is true...but they are driving on the trails illegally then also.

The trails are not open until there is sufficient snow. That gates to the trail are closed, but people open them or go around.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with it soon. I am working at closing my part of the trail. Sorry, but last year was the last straw.

Let's not point the finger at snowmobiles or ATV's for that matter for any damage done. It's all to easy to look at a common denominator in cases like this, but there is one other that we should be looking at here......THE OPERATOR of the machine.

If ridden respectably, none of these machines would be doing the damage they are on any land. We need to remember to differentiate between those who have a good set of ethics/morals and abide by the laws and those who don't. It's no different if they were to take a Geo Metro on these same trails and tear them up. It's just the tool they choose to use.

Hammer Handle,

Even to the nonrider, that's why it's important to say YES when groups like ATVAM ask legislators for more enforcement. The machines are not going away. Some places may be closed to riding but they'll always be around. And, like any other crime, will always happen but, more enforcement is needed.

HH, you owe an apology to no one for taking the trail off your land. It is sad, however, that it's come to the extreme for you.

99% of the operators are responsable and considerate. Unfortunately, you've had the unplesant experience of having to deal with the other 1%.

Like Dave said, more enforcement is needed.

I was riding today on the snowmobile trail that is in the ditch. Perfectly legal. I was stopped by a guy and asked if I was the one riding through his land on the snowmobile trail. He was very polite and I assured him it wasn't me, as it wasn't me. There are some local kids riding around lately and I'm sure that's who it is.

When there is snow I do stay off the trails, even in the ditch, to be considerate to the snowmobilers. I was once a snowmobiler and gave it up. I went strictly to atvs.

I did notice today however that when the ground is frozen, even with no snow, the atv doesn't rip up the ground at all. Even with my 27" Outlaw MST's on my 750.

There needs to be more trails and the snowmobile clubs will have to give in on some of the trails sooner or later. The big mistake they made was going through private property. They should have known this would be trouble down the line.

Hey Roofer, glad to see you joined the FM site.

Be careful on the interpretation of riding ditches that are designated snowmobile trails. The snowmobile clubs are in a lease with MNDOT, counties, cities, and private property owners to be able to run these trails there. If I'm not mistaken, the lease begins Oct. 1st, thus rendering the trails active for sleds and barring ATV's from using them unless of course they're a dual usage trail.

I know this sounds off the wall, but one of my fellow instructors is also a snowmobile instructor who is more up to par on which takes precedence.

p.s. How did the bear hunt go this year? You sent me trail cam pics, but I don't remember getting any from a successful hunt. Or did that country singer buy your bear? grin.gif

Thanks LEP. I'll keep that in mind for the trails. No bear this year. Didn't see any. Dad saw two smaller ones (150lbs), but didn't take one. I saw qhite a few deer and also got some pics, but didn't see any horns, so I didn't take one. Our deer herd is growing fast now, being we are managing them on our small piece of property. It's tough though with the surrounding neighbors shooting anything that is brown.

Thinking about the trails. If it is not legal for me to ride the ditches where the snowmobile trail is, then I'll just ride the other side of the road. smile.gif

I know if I get any guff........NO SNOWMOBILING signs will be posted on all sides of my property. They cut through my corner all the time. I have no problem with it, but..............

I don't ride all that often around here, so I can't see why anyone would get upset. I even slow down over driveways so I don't leave a mark on their gravel. Some are very inconsidertae though. frown.gif