• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground blind selection

moby1

I have used 3 different brands of ground blinds and the best one is the Double Bull. They are not cheap but are worth it. The camo pattern, preditor I think is great. we have had success with same day set ups. The 360 viewing of the Matrix is great.

I have hunted out of probably 5 different makes and models. I do love my Double Bull blinds as they are very well built and work great. In the last years the blinds have come a long ways in quality and ease to set up. I dont believe that you have to spend a fortune to purchase a well built blind but I would shy away from the real cheap ones and the coil type if anyone even makes those anymore.

I, personally have not used one blind that was as easy to set up as a Double Bull. Yes, they are at the higher price end but you would be very happy with one. smile.gif

thanks for the input. Can anyone give me any dealers where I could see some set up. Went to cabelas a few weeks back and saw the matrix set up. Very nice but too spendy for my wallett. I have heard good things about the Ameristep Brickhouse and am curious about the baby brickhouse. The intimidator and dominators look pretty good. I have also heard good about the ground mas escape series. Cabelas had the escapes, intimidators, dominators, and the ground max but none set up. The only ones set up now are 2 or three of their own models. I have a coworker that has acess to the brick houses and ground max blinds for better than store prices so especially looking for input on those if anyone has used them.

You could also call Double Bull and see if they have some in the shop for sale as they usually do. It may have had a bad spot in stiching and has been repaired. They will sell them at somewhat of a discount if they have some. Worth a call if your looking to save a few bucks.

I did buy a store name brand to try out as they were some what cheaper than my Double Bull. It set up very easy, fast and nice. The third time I used it the part that holds up the top fell apart. No warranty for that one. I will stay with Double Bull 100%.

I had two cabela's brand blinds this fall and neither one stood up like I thought they would. Both were starting to develop pinholes and the stitching was starting to come apart as well. On one of them the door zipper broke the second time I used it. Good thing is that Cabela's will take back anything you buy from them within a year and give you full credit for it. I lost the reciept so they gave me in-store credit for them. With all the good things I have heard about double bull I am saving up to buy one of them.

I tried to argue last year that for the money the Cabelas Blinds were great. Well after going through 2 of them this year I may have well just saved a bit longer and got the Double Bull right away. They are definately better in the long run and use a much better material.

Can anybody tell me what they see if there is any reaction from the deer when you put it up for the day or just run and gun with it. My thoughts are wondering if somebody all of a sudden put up a 4X5 tent in my living room I think I would notice it and stray away from it. Please tell me your experiences with one? Can a guy put up 2-3 hours before dark and still be successful???

thanks for any input.

mr

I have seen deer react both ways.

Set it up, and have them walk by it as if nothing is there, and also have deer pop their head out of a woodline and lock in on the thing as if its got a neon light above it.

BUT, take a little time and "brush" it in with some branches(preferably some with leaves on them to cover more area).

Dont expect that a blind is magically going to blend with its surroundings. Getting it tucked into some cover is a must.

2 years ago, I placed mine between a couple round bales along a field edge, and had a deer walk up to within 5 f of the blind. I got that deer. laugh.gif

Here is what I have learned from using it for the last 3 years. If I take it out and set it up to hunt that evening and dont brush it in they are somewhat wary of it.Now, if I brush it in then they will walk right by as long as the area you set it up in is not all scented up.

If you were to hunt private property and have the luxury of leaving it set up, then it will be even greater. If I have the opportunity to brush it in then I always will.

If you set it up in the woods for the first day it will be better than setting it up in a open hay field. The more open the cover the more you will need to concel it unless it has been there for a bit. You can just set it up and hunt for the first time but as stated above I have found that brushing it in will increase your chance at a very close shot.

I don't think enough can be said of having the bare minimum of windows open or the tiniest amount of window open when using a DB. Some of the blind companies will lead you to believe you are invisible behind that mesh. The deer will see you if there is too much light in the blind and especially if there is a window open in front of and behind you. I got busted once this year for not following my own advice.

On the same token, make sure you are far enough off the trail with the blind or anticipate every travel lane and make sure you are not within 10 yards of it. A deer looking straight at your blind in the middle of their trail is a deal breaker.

I have been toying with the idea of building a short platform for my my hub style blind (6 feet or so off the ground) that I put on private land to get me a little more above their eye level. Would give you less to worry about in terms of being spotted through the mesh and could be moved relatively easily with a couple of guys helping.

Thanks Harvey.

I would go with the Double Bull if you could afford it but I'm very happy with my Big Game Escape Deluxe. I believe it cost $150.

It's not as good or nice as the DB but it has a lot of good features like the ability to take standing shots and windows you can open and shut silently from the inside. It very roomy too. Perhaps too big for concealment purposes.

Ideally you can leave it out for the deer to get used to. I know the deer in my area got used to it from the frequent trail cam pics right next to it. I was just normally not there at the right times. tongue.gif

Does anyone else make a blind out of similar material to the Double Bulls? It seems like all of them I see are the (plastic pvc?) loud type material. The cloth of the DBs is outstanding, why can noone else replicate this or have I just never seen it?

Knute, what do you mean by loud? When unfolding it or setting it up? I guess with my Big Game Escape or my Ameristep Doghouse, I've never noticed them being loud or flapping in the wind as some guys claim.

The Big Game is definitely a litte heavier duty material than the Doghouse. As for the material on it, it is not pvc but polyurethane backed polyester and nowhere near as shiny as the doghouse. In fact, I'd never noticed a shine period, even when the sun is directly on it.

I left my Big Game out from late August until this past weekend on private land and it is going strong. Confident the material and its color/camo can handle many more years of this exposure to the elements.

I am not going to disagree with you on the Big game or Doghouse, I don't know much about those. I know with the cabelas brands you don't want to brush against the side of it (not that you sit that close to the walls), when it rains it is loud on the inside, and it sounds like a pair of nylon pants rubbing and rustling when trying to set it up(the style I have used). With the material DB uses noise is never an issue.

I guess my main question still is do any other companies use a cloth style similar to the DB's?

Knute, I don't want to argue either, just sharing observations. This is some good discussion.

I'm not sure why they don't use cloth like DB. It must be more expensive or why wouldn't they try to imitate the leader. Other companies have begun trying to do so in style at least if you look at Ameristep and their Intimidators or whatever.

Conversely, I wonder how well the cloth material on the DB would stand up to being left out all season? Probably just as fine as the polyurethene or more plasticy materials but I'd be worried about leaving something that nice outside and it fading or wearing. Kind of silly, I know, as you're supposed to be using it for hunting.

Anyway, the only noise problem I've had with the Big Game is the door zipper. I usually leave it unzipped and pull the opening as tightly shut as I can when not in it, but I do feel like I should zip it up when I get in to hunt. That one or two seconds of "ziiiiiip" is enough to give me the willies and wonder what I spooked even if its an hour before legal shooting light when I get settled in during the morning. I'm thinking about draping a think burlap curtain over the doorway from the inside next season so I can be more stealthy about it.