• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? about teens driving atvs

arcticcat400

i was recently asked if someone who is 15 could drive a full size 4-wheeler around on the lake if they had there atv safety certificate im talking about by themselves as long as they follow the laws and are careful then i was also asked a second ? that im not sure if any of you can answer or not suppose the dnr saw this 15 year old drive out to their fish house by themselves but they were being careful and following all the laws and were just driving to their fish house and back what would the conservation officer do? could they do anything if they came to the fish house and knocked on the door and the 15 year old was inside with the 4-wheeler parked outside just wanna make sure i dont tell someone the wrong answer so any help is greatly appreciated

i am 15 and have taken ATV safety and what the C.O told us was that NO ONE under 16 can drive a fourwheeler by THEMSELVES. all the certificate does is allow you to drive a fourwheeler WITH someone over 18. pretty dumb if you ask me. I have been pulled over by a sheriff while driving my wheeler and all he did was warn me about how dangerous it is to drive the fourwheeler alone without an adult.

EatSleepFish,

As a MNDNR ATV Instructor, I have to disagree with you that the laws pertaining to you as a youth under the age of 18, the laws are not dumb by any means. They were put into place because your age group makes up the majority of ATV accidents, as I'm sure you already know that since you've been through the training.

Through the courses that I have done, I have seen experience levels of all degrees. But as you mentioned earlier, no one under the age of 16 can operate an ATV on public lands/waters without being accompanied by an adult.

As far as what the Conservation Officer would do, that will depend on the CO and the circumstances at the time. If you're out raising cane on the ice around other ice shelters, count on you and your parents getting a citation. If you're a mile across the lake on 6 inches of ice early in the season, I would count on getting a citation. On the other hand, if there's maybe 12 inches of solid ice and you're only 100 yards from shore, the CO might let you go if you're not supervised, but you could still be cited. If he could see that you're riding responsibly, that could weigh in your favor.

In either case, don't be surprised if someone,not in DNR apparel, came up to you some day and started giving you a refresher course on ATV laws and potential risks and hazards. I know of a few instructors who will do just that, including myself. Your're better off to get a reminder from an instructor vs. a huge fine from the DNR. grin.gif

that law is there for a reason...

i am 49 and have been riding since i first jumped

on a honda atc 70 3 wheeler back in the late 60s.

i still dont know whats around the next corner

when i ride or maybe never will... now we all

know what a 15 or 16 or 49 year old is gonna do

when no one is watching, we gonna kick it in the

butt and do stupid things...

bbqhead

EatSleepFish,

Sorry, gonna have to agree with the other guys on this one. And to clarify for other readers, you can drive the ATV by yourself, just as long as you're accompanied by your guardian/parent who's on another machine.

I agree with Lep and Dave.. and the laws.

Its not a personal or general attack at you because you are younger. Safety is #1 and it doesnt take much to end up overturned with a machine on top of you, or going through a thin spot on the ice, etc. Its much safer to operate ATV's with others regardless of age, and I feel its a proper law to be manditory with younger age riders. I think an ATV course should be manditory with everyone unless they can show proof of owning an ATV for 5 years. I have seen a lot of adults do a lot of foolish things on ATV's, and especially snowmobiles!

You are probably a capable rider.. but everyone get a reminder once in a while that control is an illusion, and things happen quick and unexpectedly when an unknown hazzard comes into the equasion. The faster the machine is moving, the worse that hazzard is going to be when it comes.. and it will come eventually if you ride ATV's. I am not lecturing, but keep in mind that ATV can, and will kill you if you dont ride it with the greatest respect.

The reason why the younger generation is more prone to accident is many of their driving skills(any kind of vehicle) were fine tuned by video games, and a little common sense was added by a class.. I know mine were ooo.gif

I eventually got older and realized I wasnt indestructable, and I would like to keep my limbs attatched to my body and functional!

EatSleepFish,

Say, I guess I should've included what That Guy said, in that I hope you don't think anyone here is attacking. You do have a valid question/opinion and it sounds like you're a responsible rider.

Another way to look at it is, ATVAM worked very hard to be able to pass legislation that even allows younger riders to operate a larger machine on public lands/waters, if they pass the ATV safety class. Riding with somebody else alongside is better than not riding a larger machine at all and, was probably one of the bargaining chips to pass.

Now that this posting has been put into place. I have a question as a father of a 10 year old boy. My son, cannot go through the ATV class for another year. He has been riding for a few years, on the 40-50cc machines. Well, now that he is older and somewhat larger he cannot fit very well on these smaller machines anymore and ride them safely. So, last year for Christmas, I bought him a 90cc Polaris sportsman. What are the rules on this machine? I am always with him when he rides...I do not have a machine and when I am fishing we set up away from people, so, he does not bother them. I have adjusted the throttle, he cannot open it up, but, that was part of my idea behind getting him one of these machines. I have taught him how to be a safe rider, and to always be sure of his surroundings (basics until class).

He has to be within sight of me, and he is not able to ride unless I am around. I have a feeling I am in the wrong by letting him ride this machine...what is a guy to do, when the machines they sell stating no one under 6 to ride. what are the rules behind this? (I feel I must add to this as well I know the machine he currently owns states no one under 12, but, come on the 50cc machines he could not sit on and operate safely)

I am ready for a lashing, I really need to know what I can do if anything to allow him to ride....legally.

Or do I have to keep him restricted to private property and keep him off the lakes. Which would really deter him from fishing, One of his favorite things to do is pull my fish house to the destination (with his machine). confused.gif

stmichael,

the new laws state that anyone age 10-11 years may ride a machine no larger than 90cc on public lands or waters, and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian age 18 or older, with a valid drivers license.

With that being said, you are well within the law to allow your son to ride his machine on the lakes, but do please make sure there is sufficient ice. We can never assume any ice is safe as there are many factors that can cause it to weaken i.e. carp in shallow water and current.

One other thing that I would also like to bring up that I mentioned last year is when vehicles are traveling across the ice, the ice does buckle/bow to some extent. This in turn causes a wake under the ice ahead of the vehicle. Once this nears shallower water, the pressure under the ice increases and causes an immediate pressure ridge under the vehicle causing the vehicle to go through. This is why slow travel on frozen water is always recommended. It gives the pressure under the ice time to disperse away from the vehicle.

I commend you and everyone else on this thread for their insite and concern for "DOING THE RIGHT THING".

st micheal.. I am glad its legal what you are doing with your son. Its sounds like you are going the right way about teaching your kid to safely operate an atv.

When I learned as a young kid, I was always follwing family around on a 3 wheeler to places a cow wouldnt be able to go... I think they thought it was funny grin.gif

The key is, everything was low speed operation, and I learned the extremes of conditions before I was ever on my own.

stmichael,

As pointed out by others, you're right on target. One thing to consider, look around for an older machine, either 3 or 4 wheels. I'm sure your son would enjoy it more if pops would be along for the ride, too. And, my 11 year old already towed my Otter around the yard, just to get in practice smirk.gif

Thank you all for the information! Man this is a great site with great people.

Dave,

I have been looking around for another machine, but, financially I am strapped for now. I am able to borrow a buddies machine from time to time and we do go for rides now and then. Like you said, it is a blast when we are riding together!

My eyes are always open for a 3 wheeled machine, I think I will be able to afford one of these before a four wheeler. Also, I have not ruled out a 2 wheel drive four wheeler.

As far as ice being safe, I have instilled it in his mind to be cautious of all ice. Make sure you use your head when driving. He likes to give the daredevil in him a try at times on a heave that was pushed on shore. (at least try to), he gets maybe 3 inchs of air....dad did you see that? HA HA I love that look on his face! I know before long he is going to beg to have more throttle. frown.gifgrin.gif

I was thinking of strapping snowmobile skies to the front wheels so it will go better in the snow, anyone see a problem with this...other than losing the front braking ability?

Thanks again guys for the feedback!

Pushing skis on the front of a 90 is, well, "pushing it" smirk.gif I don't think that'd work very well.

My sons have been riding 90's since they were, oh, 8, on private land. They're 11 & 13 now and ride a 150 and 300 now. I know my sons have had mishps when younger on their 90's. Instilled a little caution into them and now they know what a larger machine could do, with experience from rolling or tipping a smaller machine.

sorry for saying the law is dumb, but what i meant to say is i wish that i was able to ride my wheeler by myself. All i do is hunt and fish, so getting to the spots that i want to get to relies on riding my bike, walking, or getting a ride. alot of the time getting a ride or tagging along is out of the question, so im restricted to riding my bike to the local creeks and public hunting land. which alot of the time is a 3-5 mile ride. Not to mention impossible in the winter. I've taken the class and have been pulled over by a sheriff, so i am a responsible rider since i know there may be "eyes" in the woods watching how i drive my wheeler. i drive slow so i dont get the neighbors mad, and only drive to my ability, since my uncle is a EMT and has told many stories about what ATV's have done to people not riding responsibly. i know my responsible riding wont make up for the other numerous teens who misuse their privileges of riding a ATV, but i only have to wait another year till i can drive my wheeler by myself legally,but until then i guess ill put on a few more miles biking and walking wink.gif

EatSleepFish,

by reading through your post, it's clear that you're matured beyond your years. You're well spoken, your spelling is good, and you show yourself to be responsible. Unfortunately, these are traits that we don't see very often, both in teenagers as well as adults. You've been honest in this thread and have been fortunate enough to have encountered a law enforcement officer who understood your situation.

I can directly relate to having to ride a bike to my favorite fishing hole or hunting spot. I've tracked many miles on two wheels to enjoy the outdoors.

Eatsleepfish...

You will have a new complaint next year when you turn 16..

You will have your drivers license(opens tons of options), and you will be able to do what everyone else legally can on the 4 wheeler... UNTIL ... ready for this? shocked.gif

You go to put it on a trailer and tow it, or want to tow a boat to the lake.. your not supposed to to a trailer until your 18 unless they changed the law.

I learned of that law 5 days before my 18th birthday and the cop let me off when I was towing my boat.

You'll have to check into that one(or someone else will). I cant remember and I dont want to give you the wrong info. I am not sure if your supposed to be trailering anything regardless until your 18.