• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera

Just bought this yesterday.....see my post in "Expert Information" forum.

I was able to get this at Circuit City for $159 with free 1 GIG SD card!

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it but so far so good.

The only thing I don't like so far is that there is no rechargeable battery that you can keep juiced up while in the unit. My Kodak has that with a dock. I just keep it docked and grab it when I head out.

I'll probably stick to Lithium AA's now. NimH AA's seem to always let me down when I need it most. They drain if idle.

Go to FatWallet and search $40 cc coupon.

Also, I just found out that CC is offering a $10 gift card as well starting today. Technically brings it down to $149.

I missed out on that one.....oh well.

Hey guys,

I just purchased the A540 last night after reading different things about them. My question is this, As far as the AA batteries are concerned do you guys go the rechargeable route, or do you just keep a pocketful of regular alkalines along with you. I have been burned in the past with cheap rechargeable batteries. Are there some that work better than others.

Thanks,

CA

Rechargeables are the way to go. Cheaper in the long run and much more environmentlly friendly, unless a person recycles all those dead alkaline batteries.

I have an insert for my DSLR that allows it to take AA batteries in an emergency, but I generally limit my AA battery use to my flash and GPS and small flashlights. I have six sets of four AA rechargeables. I use UltraLast brand, which I buy at the local camera store here. Inexpensive, have worked quite well for me, and they recharge from totally dead to full charge in a couple hours in gangs of four on the charger.

Here's the thing to remember about rechargeables. They will slowly drain when idle.

If I don't have any NiMh's ready to go. I use the lithiums.

Just don't use regular alkaline AA's. wink.gif

Quote:

Web, full credit! I also have the SB800 speedlight, it's the best flash out there bar none... get yourself a Better Beamer to attach to that bad boy if you really want to extend the flash.

Yeah, that flash coupled with my D80 is nice.. I had the SB-600 but really wanted the extra flash "5th battery option for faster recycle time" is also a nice feature" but I checked out the SB-800 and it did what I wanted it to do.. Love it and wouldn't change / trade it...

I am still learning how to use this camera, but wanted to know what mode you guys (as a rule) generally use for everyday photos? Is there one mode that works better for quick consecutive shots over another. I have been taking pictures, but after each one it seems like it takes a while before I can take another one. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CA

Bought an A540 for my wife in October for birthday and shes loves it. Easy to use in auto mode or you can play with the settings and have some fun.

Does go through the batteries though. I'd recommend getting rechargables.