• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Male or Female?

ripper

Just looking for opinions on what is better, male or female? I'm on a litter list for a Brittany Spaniel to be born in Jan. All along I've been looking to get a male, since that's all I've ever had? I guess I'd be open to either? The temperment is my number one priority right now. I have no intentions of breeding and would get either one fixed. Any thoughts??

Alot of that depends on the breed, the bloodline, and the particular breeding.

Temperament is partly nature and partly nurture. Do your best to expose your dog (male or female) to everything positive that you can and you'll likely end up with a pooch that's a good citizen.

For GSP's generally the males are bigger, more powerful, and tend mature a little slower. You may have to have a few "discussions" with an intact male to convince him not to pee on every bush he goes by. Males might be a little more "honest" about their business while hunting or training.

Females are smaller, mature faster, may take their training a little faster. Females may also play mind games with you a little more than males.

I would expect the same may be true with Britt's but I'll defer to the Britt owners for the truth on that one.

I've asked this same question of the pro I got my dogs from and he says it's just a matter of preference. Go with what you like.

Quote:

Females may also play mind games with you a little more than males.

Just like a typical woman. blush.gif Just kidding.

I'd agree with what gspman said above. If you're going to get hte dog fixed and do it early enough (around 6-9mos of age ideally), you won't have to deal with the male leg lift or the female coming in heat. At that point, it's all a matter of personality. I've heard that some breeds are the opposite of the generalizations made above, but I have yet to see that be true. I love having a male right now - he seems much less 'complex' and moody than my last female was.

First Ripper, let me applaud your statement that you have no intention of breeding your new dog. At the rate we are being overrun with Labs, for instance, the breed is going to suffer even more. Seems everybody is out to make a pile on puppies these days.

Now: I've had male, female and fixed of both gender. All black Labs. Females are softer i.e. easier to train-more inclined to seriously take to heart your corrections. Unfixed males can be boneheads. Sometimes fixed males are too, but they tend to be easier handling. I have a new female now, probably my last dog, and she is the sweetest dog I've ever had and be far the easiest to train. But she does have little games she likes to play. Males, fixed and unfixed, can be bold and obnoxious. Females more tender. If you get a GOOD dog to begin with, and I mean from a good line and a good kennel, you can do pretty much what you want, regardless of sex. If you are fairly new to dogs and training maybe start off with a nice female. Fix her at or before or first heat.

As Will Rogers said: If there ain't no dogs in Heaven, then i ain't goin'.

Have fun.P.S. If its a female, name it Snickers will ya? LOL.

The male vs. female debate is way over-rated. AT best you can give very big swaying generalizations... I personally have a male now that is softer and easier to train than most guys would admit of their females... I also have a female right now who is a complete knucklehead and does her darndest to not do what you are working on, she spent a couple months with a trainer frustrating the heck out of him... It comes down to individual dogs, they have personalities like the rest of us. I would agree with some of the arguments if they are left intact, females are moodier around their heat cycles, males tend to want to 'run' more when young. The hormone issues will be resolved upon spaying and nuetering.

Most guy's will make bold statements about male vs. females based on ONE dog they used to have. ie: "I had a male once, most obnoxious, boneheaded, son-of-a-gun that ever walked the earth... I'll never own another!" or " I had a female once... she was so timid and moody that I will only own males from here on out!"... I've had close to 20 labs over the years and I can honestly say, properly trained, they were all great dogs, and personality and disposition was never a problem with any of them.

Go with what your gut tells you and enjoy the pup! As GSP man stated the proper breeding is more important than anything else.

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with the fact there is not much difference. I have owned 2 females, and they were great dogs (two different breeds) and because of that would probably get another. Other than personal preference I think the biggest thing will be size.

In reading your post I would tell you to make a list of criteria that you are going to use to pick your puppy. Put that list in the order of priority. Then go and see the litter and start narrowing down the litter by eliminating puppys that do not meet your criteria.

This sounds good on paper(or posting). Gaurantee you will get through your list and still have 6 puppies left. Then close your eyes and reach in and pick one. wink.gif

I prefer the girls, but agree that for Britts it probably does not matter.

I will play Bob Barker here and say neuter your male dog. He will be a better dog. Not run when the neighbors' dogs go in heat, etc....

Guys spay their female dogs to avoid the issues and mess with heat cycles (plus - ovarian cancer is a real threat to dogs), but can not seem to let male dogs take the knife ... No reason to keep 'em.

I agree with everything Labs said. One thing I will point out is that the males are usually larger, faster and more athletic (usually, not always), which can be a factor in heavy cover hunting situations. That being said, my best all around hunting dog ever was a female.

If you do have your dog fixed, cut back on the food. It seems as though every spayed or neutered dog is fat. My vet even told me that once you do it, their caloric needs are considerably lower.

Ripper,

Sounds like you have a good dilema on your hands. Which Brittany breeder are you on the list for? I've had three brits in the family. Our first male, Zeke, was a hunting machine. He died when I died at 15 years 9 months.

I then bought two dogs out of a litter, one male and one female. They've been great hunting dogs. They are now 12 years old...and still did a great job hunting pheasants this year!

After owning to Brittany's the last 12 years, I can say there are some differences. Out male Cody, is a little more high strung, and definately is the clown of the house, always having a good time. When hunting, he seems to range out a little further. Our female takes herself mush more seriously and doesn't goof around as much. She work a little slower and stays closer in the field. Orverall, they're both great hunting dogs, with awesome noses...also good duck retrievers. Okay, I'm rambling now. I'll be happy with your choice. Britts are great!

I have always had female dogs and that was pretty much the way my family landed as well when I was growing up. I think it comes down to the individual animal. I personally have a young female lab right now that the trainer that I have used actually calls a him! He decided very quickly that the dog had a testosterone driven temperment and that he needed to train her with that in mind.

I don't think he trains her any differently but I know he sets his expectations for her learning the training as he would a young male.

Either way have fun! (and oh by the way, if you have new hardwood floors in your home and a very young, frisky puppy/young dog be prepared for some painful conversations about scratching!! Whoops!)

I've had one male lab (he was my first pup) and three female labs, I'll never have another male. The females just seem to listen better, they'll take a lecture to heart better, they have no desire to go off traipsing. If this is your first pup, I'd highly recommend a female.

I have two females and one male. My first was a female and I was very glad as she seemed to mature MUCH faster. I was killing birds over her points at 9 months. My male is over a year and still plays catch (by himself) with pine cones!! Unless he makes a drastic turn, He could be my last male.

I am on my second lab. My first was a female. She was a great pet and an OK hunting dog. My current lab is a male and at 2 1/2 years he is a better hunter than my female ever was. As mentioned earlier I think it comes down to the dog, its breeding etc. I am sure I am better at training dog #2 but not that much better. I will agree that females mature mentally earlier as my boys litter mate started out ahead of my dog but now my boy has caught up.

Thanks Labs! Been taking alot of time off for deer and pheasant hunting in the past month and half, last week was my first five day week since early Oct frown.gif and when I have been at work, I've been busy!!! I hate it when work keeps me away from FM!!!