• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ponds, lakes, and creeks froze what are the deer drinking

rippinlips

From my heated water dish for my feral cats? No, I don't know. Been thinking about putting my trail cam near it to see what drinks the whole thing every night. When it was a little warmer, the racoons would bathe in it at night. : P

But seriously, this is a very good question. I would imagine water sources are limited thsi time of the year with no snow on the ground. I wonder if deer would make regular visits to a watering hole with a heated element (solar power or something) this time of year? Works in the hot summer months.

They can get some moisture from licking the frost in the mornings and they are amazingly adept at finding creeks and springs that aren't frozen. If you find water (particularly if its close to a food source), it just might be an OK place to watch for deer this time of year... wink.gif

I was just processing this over the last few days before seeing this topic this afternoon. I was trying to figure out why after seeing very few deer near the river this fall I've seen them around dusk on my way home from work every night this week so far. (I know it's only 3 nights.) My road home parallels the river for all 10 miles right to my house. I came up with that the river although frozen over, usually has little spots that the ice is very thin or leaks onto the surface. The other reason I think is that like swamps they're another remaining refuge of heavy cover, low ground with thick cattails.

They haven't been in any of the same places, but all have been along the river. I know there have been at least two hit by cars along that road in the last week as well. I've generally noticed more deer along the river in the winter. I know over the years in western MN & farther West many people have said the deer winter in the river bottoms after the crops are gone. Must be something to that.

I believe there are alot that do migrate to the river for the winter, but I'm in southern lakeville and there is absolutely no creeks ponds or swamps that have any water in them I just don't get it because all the deer are still around they have to be getting it from somewhere. Is there enough moisture in the green leaves still hanging on shrubs that supply enough water for them.

I hope someone knows the answer cuz I sure don't. I wonder if the slowing of their metabolism has something to do with it? I do know I've seen them stacked up in corn fields in Feb and March and couldn't even guess where the nearest open water would be. Later.

Today its supposed to warm up to about 40 here. I'm ditching work to sit with the smoke pole this afternoon and I think I'll do so near a watering spot that might open up a bit with the warmer temps... I know of a good spot with one real nice buck in the area that hasn't been shot yet. Its farther away than where I was going to go today, but I think it just might be the spot...

Good luck lawdog, going in the morning near a swamp myself.

There was another dead deer on the river road this morning, about 75 yards from the last house in town proper. That's three hit on that road this week & we've had snow since Sunday night.

This was a great question. I was wondering the same thing last night when I was out hunting. I sat on the banks of a frozen river where I seen about 7 deer two weeks ago. Didn't see anything and got to thinking they were probably there to water and now with it froze up where do they go for water? We don't have any snow either so they must know of an open spot or two on the river to drink from.

Well that didn't work! mad.gif Didn't get warm enough to open any water and I saw NOTHING. This is the third straight time I've sat without seeing a deer. They really have me baffled here all the sudden!!! confused.gif Tommorrow is the last chance with the smoke pole for me as Sunday is out. I really haven't the foggiest idea where to even go right this minute.

I found the water supply the deer around our place are getting water my parents neighbor has really big heated water tanks for his horse's that he said there has being alot of deer going up there drinking after dark. If they were not getting the water there I don't know where they would get water they might of moved out of our area to some place closer to a water supply.