• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-wheeler with tracks

waskawood

I have been waiting until the EFI's came along before buying my first wheeler. Now that has happened I am wondering how a 4-wheeler performs with tracks. The only thing I will use it for will be ice fishing. I live on a lake and I would be using it for transportation to and from as well as moving the house. They weigh more but should have more surface area so the weight per sq. inch may even be less than wheels. Would a guy be safe with the same ice thickness and wheels? I would like to hear from anyone who actually has used one. How is the turning radius compared to wheels. Thanks for any help.

Waska

Some machines will respond differently than others when tracks are added. You're correct in that the surface area is greatly increased vs. tires and the added weight doesn't make much difference here. The tracks will turn harder and have a much larger turning radius. You can expect to spend between $2500-3500 depending on which machine you decide to buy.

The Can-Am's and Polaris both offer their own brand labeled track kits and both brands offer machines up to the 800cc class. I say class because the Polaris 800 is actually in the ballpark of 760cc. But plenty of power none the less. The larger displacement the better if you want to add tracks. They do rob a lot of power from your machine. If you would opt for a Suzuki Kingquad 700, you might want to add a clutch kit since most of the reports I have heard on these is they don't like to be loaded down. The Yamaha Grizzly 700 might be the hot ticket when it comes to adding the track kits. They have IRS, EFI, locking front differential, and POWER STEERING. This should make the steering ease a lot better. But the steering is a first year feature on ATV's this year and there's always the possibility of it not being able to handle the added weight and stress of a track kit.

Personally I like the Can-Am machines, but have been hearing many stories of weak frames. With this in mind, Polaris' on the other hand have been around for some time and are built like a tank as far as the frames go. Be careful not to overload the IRS (Independant Rear Suspension) machines. I have seen a Polaris 500 that was loaded to the point of the rear suspension being flat, or parallel to the ground. He ended up pulling off a CV joint. This might be a limited occurance, but I can see this as being one of the few limitations of an IRS equipped machine.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

I have often thought of the tracks also on my wheeler for ice fishing then last winter I talked with a friend who rode in an argo 8x8 with tracks. His report was qiute positive on this machine. According to their HSOforum the weight of these is not all that much more that a four wheeler and pricing is not that much higher, especially in the used market. They also make cabs and heaters if you are only going to use it for ice fishing. Good luck with your decision, either way have fun.

Quote:

Be careful not to overload the IRS (Independant Rear Suspension) machines. I have seen a Polaris 500 that was loaded to the point of the rear suspension being flat, or parallel to the ground.

Help me out here... Wouldn't the tracks be unsprung weight?

The tracks are not going to put a load on the suspension. It would be kind of hard when they sit under it. I think he was talking about it be loaded down with something. I used the tracks last year on a Polaris 800EFI and I thought they were awesome. I went as fast as the throttle would let me. Actually as fast as I would allow myself to go. 55 was as fast as I had it with plenty of throttle left. The ride is smooth once you go about 15+. I had no problems except one, everybody wanted to ride it. grin.gif Sorry only one rider and that's me. wink.gif

I want to thank everyone for there feedback. Bob, how do the tracks work on bare ice? Do you need studs? How about weight. Do you think it is safe to use a wheeler with tracks with the same ice thickness that would be safe with a normal wheeler?

Waska

The Mattracks weigh about 100 pounds per track. They actually disperse the weight over a greater area than a ATV tire would.

Some track kits are intended for use only in snow. Tracks do offer a better grip on ice than tires do. Tracks will reduce your top speed about 20%, however, with most kits you can ride as fast as you want. Turning effort is increased until movement is made.

With Mattrack Litefoot system you can use them in mud, snow, water, sand. With the Polaris tracks, they cannot be used other than in winter (snow). Keep in mind that a set of Litefoot tracks are not cheap. For the XT Litefoot tracks you are talking in the $5000 range. I believe the Polaris track run a bit cheaper at $3000. I do not reccommend watching the Litefoot DVD that they send you out if you inquire about purchasing the tracks, or you are going to find anyway possible to buy a set. The guy in the video drives up to a concrete pad that is 24" high and proceeds to climb over it. I was impressed to say the least.

I ran the Litefoots last year and without a doubt, they are impressive. As I stepped off the machine and ended up to my crotch in snow, it was a cool feeling to hop back on and drive away.

Aren't those track kits like about a bazillion dollars or so? ATV's go just about anywhere the way it is, I don't see the cost/benefit if they still cost as much as the numbers I've herad in the past...

Waskawood, you can use them on bare ice but studs would be very helpful. You can stud the track. Most of the time there is some amount of snow so I didn't worry about it. If you look around you can get a set of tracks in the $2500 range. I wasn't lucky enough like Dave to get into snow that deep. wink.gif

Quote:

The tracks are not going to put a load on the suspension. It would be kind of hard when they sit under it. I think he was talking about it be loaded down with something. I used the track last year on a Polaris 800EFI and I thought they were awesome. I went as fast as the throttle would let me. Actually as fast as I would allow myself to go. 55 was as fast as I had it with plenty of throttle left. The ride is smooth once you go about 25+. I had no problems except one, everybody wanted to ride it.
grin.gif

Thanks Bob,

that is what I was talking about. We had this discussion on here before about tongue weight. The typical machine off the showroom floor is not intended to hold more than 35 lbs of tongue weight. The machine I was referring to had a set of extra baskets mounted onto the racks that used up his capacity and then some, causing his machine to squat.

Thanks guys for your input. I do appreciate it. Lawdog, it's only money and I can't take it with me. If I had to justify every expenditure I would just go to the fish market and buy a pound of mackeral frown.gif

I have heard of aftermarket accessories that increase the tongue weight capacities of the machines on both IRS and solid rear axles. Either way, you still want to be careful not to overload your machine so much to the point that your front end is too light to steer.

From what I remember, that lock out device was developed for when pulling an implements/three point hitch setup. Locking the rear suspension transmit the torque straight down to the tires/ground constantly rather than having rear wheel "hop".

Not to get off topic here but why even get a set of tracks at 2000-3000 dollars. Why not just get a sled to go along with your ATV? I guess I feel that if there is no snow I take my ATV and if there is snow then I take the sled. For the cost of them I myself just couldn't justify the cost. But that is just me. So I guess my real question is for guys like Dave and Bob what made you decide to get a set of tracks as opposed to just getting a sled? Just curious

IFF, I understand your position. I have thought long and hard about it. I have a 10 year old sled with less than 300 miles on it. I don't snowmobile. Only use it to get to town when my country roads were plugged. I now live on a lake and would only use a 4 wheeler for ice fishing. The problem with a sled is that I cannot pull my permanent house with it or use it on early season ice. If I have two units I have to maintain and license both units. I would leave the tracks on year around. I can use it on ice or snow and can move my house with it. I realize that tracks are not for everyone but it seems to fit my particular situation best. I do appreciate the input.

I have litefoots for my SP700, pics in my link.

Anyway I love them. They hold their own in any terain. Awsome traction. Aswome floatating in anything except water.

They do take a little time swapping on and off from tires, however with a good ATV jack its a snap. They're harder to steer then tires. I have not gotten stuck in the mud with them "Yet" I have heard though when you are stuck your going to be there a long time. They go like mad in snow, and will get snow on what your pulling. Only terain the I have had problems with are downed trees that the front of the track slides under, the track can't get up and out from under it. Also if your going someplace with your machine on a trailer, you do get stopped by "tire" kickers asking you alot of questions so plan accordingly.

As a side not, once you put tracks on your wheeler it is NO LONGER an ATV, it becomes a OHV. There are ways around that law though (PAGE WILL COME UP SAYING YOU CANT VEIW IT, JUST REFRESH PAGE AND YOU WILL BE GOOD) note tires on the front of my machine.

As for a saggy rear suspension, Polaris makes heavy rear springs. And there is a bar made by Koplin and the like to lock up your rear suspension for doing field work with plows and the like.

I drove my buddies Ranger last year with the Mattracks. It was awesome. My brother in law had his 500 Polaris and he was having a hard time getting through the snow I went by him like i was on solid ground. Went back up a pretty steep hill no problem. Seemed like it sat quite a bit higher with the tracks on.

Tully