• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-5 Engineering

The proof is in the engineering and the results are in... Aren't you glad you got a MarCum.. smile.gif

MarCum Technologies LX5(Made in USA) Engineering Comparison to Vexilar FL20(Made in Japan)

Receiver sensitivity :

Receiver sensitivity is the measurement of a sonar receiver’s ability to detect an input signal. This measurement tells just how small of a return signal the unit is able to pick up and display. The LX5’s receiver is more sensitive.

Measurement:

LX5- 24uV

FL20- 40uV

Receiver Gain:

Receiver gain is a measurement of the total system gain or amplification. Typically the more gain a receiver has the smaller signal it will be able to detect.

The LX5 receiver has more gain.

Measurement:

LX5- 89.77db

FL20- 70.89db

Receiver distortion:

Receiver distortion is a measurement of the sonar receiver to filter, amplify, detect, and display a return signal. A receiver with less distortion will give a more accurate display. The LX5 has less distortion.

Measurement:

LX5- less than 1%

FL20- more than 40%

Transmitter power:

Transmit power is a measurement of the output power into the transducer. This is usually defined in Watts peak to peak or Watts RMS. In the sonar world more power means a better return signal with less noise and less filtering. The LX5 has more power.

Measurement:

LX5- more than 2000 Wp-p or 300 Wrms

FL20- more than 400 Wp-p or 50Wrms

Conclusions: The LX5 surpasses the FL20 in every sonar measurement that was made. With these measurements it becomes clear that the LX5 is a superior product in respect to its receiver/transmitter design. These measurements were made on off the shelf units using an industry standard tester.

What this means to the ice fisherman is that with the LX5 you will get a clearer, less distorted picture of what’s below the transducer. We at MarCum believe that these measurements reflect what LX5 users have been seeing on the ice. The MarCum Technologies LX5 is truly the best and this can be backed up and verified by scientific measurements.

Duane Cummings

Chief Sonar Engineer

MarCum Technologies Inc.

Note: measurements were made on an EDI sonar tester.

CNY-

Nice info. I picked up one on 11/8 from Thorne Bros (Josh & MJ5(a nice & helpful group, I might add)). Today, 11/13 I bought another one (gift for brother in-law).

Have seen the difference on the ice last year between it and other brands. Impressed enough to buy TWO!

rr4

I just picked up a last years LX5 demo unit with a full two year factory warranty for $395. I cannot wait to get out there and give it a whirl! I was running an FL18 last year, so it should be fun to draw comparisons between the two.

river-rat4,

Nice to chat with you the other day. Hope the LX-5 treats you well... I'm sure the wife will get over it grin.gif I also got your message, it was a long couple of days. Stop in and I'll help set you up with another rod...