• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's workin' now Ice...

Corey Bechtold

Holy Mackiliandy!!! How can it be that we are already starting to look at Ice fishing?!?!! This Fall went by way too fast and water temps dropped drastically in a short time. What is this going to mean for early Ice patterns? Where should we start to look for fish?

These questions might be difficult to answer because every body of water may have it's own personality. With the lakes in my area I will start by looking at the obvious. Shallow weed flats with deep water nearby. The fish might not be holding in their respected areas but might be stacked in the deeper water watiting for the Ice conditions to stabilize. These fish might be a bit lethargic with the sudden fall of the water temperatures but time will tell.

I don't want to give up on Open Water fishing just yet but I want to be prepared for Ice fishing when it gets here.

What is everyone planning to do right out of the gate? Be sure to be perpared. Lets get a list of things that we need to do to get ready for the ICE fishing season! laugh.gif

Let's get it started!

Corey Bechtold

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif... see Corey, I knew you'd come around...

I'll also be looking for green weeds at early ice, or else a nice sticky-bottom flat somewhere. Oftentimes there is no need to venture out all that far during first ice. Get out to that first patch of weeds and start popping holes looking for pockets. Not uncommon to come across a nice pod of pannies cruising around in 4-5 feet of water at first ice just inside the weed lines as well...

If everything goes as planned, I'll be headed out tomorrow for my last open-water excursion. Headed to a familiar panfish lake looking for crappies & sunnies, watching my locator and marking areas of weed growth, weed pockets, hard bottom, etc. preparing for early ice outings. Will also look over deep water in case this cold weather has pushed them down. I'll be bringing my ice fishing plastics aresenal along including my open-water plastics.

Should be a fun day. smile.gif

When you start seeing the little ponds freezing I get the itch big time, also it is always nice to see Mr. Johnson start to post more info for us novice fisherman in Minnesota, I have taken many of your ideas and put them to use over the last year and I thank you sir. Keep it up for us to learn the ins and outs of ice fishing for pannies. Thanks to all the other top notch fisherman on this site for the info, we live in a great state and ice fishing is such a great time of year.

What's working now?

I'm organizing my ice tackle! Look out pannies, and MJ! I'm coming for you in the UPL! grin.gif

Been going through my panfish jigs and really stocked up on the Marmooska types. I've got my YBD Wolframs in various colors and sizes, a bunch of CJ&S Diamond jigs in various colors (now I need more sizes!), and I NEED, NEED to badly get an order into Little-Atom for some Optic Stealths, plastics, and other various LA jigs! I can't believe the money I've got invested in panfish tackle. Yikes!

Guess its cheaper than buying Chubby Darters at their "new price" of $7.99. Holy Smokes!

I just got over deer hunting fever.....Now what am I suppose to tell the boss shocked.gif

Where is the best place to pick up some of those speciality jigs Hanson mentioned about for pannies? I know they were talked about pretty heavily last year and would like to ad a few to the arsenal. Does TB have em?!

You must be looking for Little Atom?

Optic Stealth jigs and the Nuggie plastic? I'm also liking the Shmoe Spoon (CJ&S Demon), The Purist, and the regular Optic Jig.

I haven't seen them in a store anywhere, except for Outdoor Allure up near Chequamegon. I think Mr. Hudson had something to do with that however.

Matt Johnson posted an article on how to tote your lures a little while back. They are a Little Atom distributor and right now they have free shipping until the end of November. I am not posting the HSOforum because the last time I did it got banished into non-existance. But here's a clue JUST think about catching -FISH through the ice and add the .COM! cool.gif

Brandon

For the Little Atom jigs, spoons, plastics, etc.. You can order em right from their HSOforum. Rick will set you up right...

And for the Wolfram and Fiskas.. Give a shout to Jamie over at Your Bobbers Down HSOforum..

Both have quality stuff that will get you bit!!!

Matt, Little-Atom jigs is what I'm looking for. I'll take toomuchfun and Jim's advice and order them on-line.

Before I jump head first into their arsenal, what jigs would you recommend are better than the others? I was out on their HSOforum and notice lots of different colors and sizes. Stealth jig or Optic Stealth jig?!

I know Matt, Hanson and Jim have had these in your tackle boxes this past year.

Guys?

White to start Brandon! I've always had the best luck with White and it is a good starting point. It is also easy to make a little change with a Sharpie marker to see if slight variations make a difference. Glow colors are always another good option. I haven't had any real success with Glow Red but the newer Purples can be a good change up color.

Another tip. If you are deadsticking than a Vertical jig is best with a Minnow. If you are like me and can't put the rod down than go with more Horizontal jigs. I am 90 percent Horizontal when it comes to my Ice fishing.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Bradon

Also to note... Rick should have his site updated soon. I know he was busy getting stuff ready for this season. If there is something you do not see just give him a call or e-mail him. He will be happy to help you out.

One thing to note also on these types of jigs and plastics. I see Gander will be carrying a line of Little Atom plastics and also the Wolfram jigs. Also, Marine General has these in stock as well.

Here in NW Iowa I think small farm ponds will be fishable within a week if temps stay as forecast...maybe less than that. Lakes will probably be a bit, but the farm ponds should provide an early opportunity to throw the shack over top and ice a few bluegills. Good luck!

NWBuck