• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV/Deer Hunting

Big D 1

you can use an ATV anytime during the regular firearms season as long as you're on private property with landowner permission. If you're hunting public land where ATV would be permitted, then you must adhere to the operating times between 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and before and after legal shooting hours.

I believe this is how the reg's are stated this year, but the best place to check is www.dnr.state.mn.us

On public land, you can use before and after shooting hours plus, and between 11am & 2pm.

On private land, I wouldn't place a bet on that use if it's when carrying a firearm. I think the intent was for those just using ATVs on prvate land for doing chores, riding, etc. without firearms. That's just my opinion.

RFLMAO,

you guessed it.

I just sold my Bombardier DS 650 on Thursday. The wife says I need to grow up and move into the utilities now. I'm only 38 for crying out loud.

Although I did get a chance to drive my dads new Rhino yesterday and have to admit that it is a very nice machine. Luckily I was with him yesterday. His shifter linkage had a loose bolt so he couldn't get it out of reverse. We popped off the center console and put everything back together the way it should have been when it left the dealership.

I can see a side x side in my future. I already warned the Mrs. that it's going to get the works (tracks, racks, light bar, etc.)

Same thing happened to my brother's Rhino last year out in the middle of the lake shocked.gif Also, watch out so no jackets get in front of the air intake, that'll kill the motor. wink.gif

icefishingsmallbj0.jpg

Or, maybe for some hunting

huntingrhino1zp6.jpg

They changed the rule this year for private property to allowing ATV's anytime, with guns or without. You always could use your ATV for chores etc. if you where not a hunter. That is the way I read the law change anyhow.

I just called the dnr to clarify what fivebucks said and he is absolutely right. New rule this year that you can ride your atv on private land at anytime whether you have a hunting license or not. Public land the old rules apply, before and after dark and between 11-2.

hmm, not sure who that last post was directed too confused.gifconfused.gif

Anyway Big D 1,

I believe that US steel and mining property that allows hunting is considered public and goes by the public land rules. But I could be wrong, you may want to give the DNR info line a call before you go.

Quote:

hmm, not sure who that last post was directed too
confused.gifconfused.gif

Anyway Big D 1,

I believe that US steel and mining property that allows hunting is considered public and goes by the public land rules. But I could be wrong, you may want to give the DNR info line a call before you go.

Yup, that's what I found out today....thanx for the help ELY

Tebasco,

you read more into my post than what was actually stated. Before you start to assume anything, I would ask before you post something like that.

Yes, I am 38 and no I don't need an ATV for hunting. My dad, who is 67 does. He has hip problems and cannot walk long distances. Especially not in the areas where we hunt. The side x side vehicles such as the Rhino allow him the oppurtunity to get out hunting with his grandsons. Does he shoot from the vehicle, NO!!!! He only uses it to get from point"A" to point "B".

I will leave this at that. I have all the respect in the world for those who need ATV's to be able to enjoy their last few years of hunting.

Over the past few years that I have been conducting the MN DNR ATV safety training, I have seen people of all abilities who have come through my courses. Including a 12 year old boy who had a prosthetic foot.

Remember, ATV's are defined as under 800 cc's and 900 lbs. Last time I checked a rhino is not a atv under Minnesota Law due to it's weight and is considered a OHV (off-highway vehicle) and is under different regs. I checked cuz I wanted one but switched to a outlander cuz if differing laws and wanted to ride trails where the rhino would be illegal.

I do understand the laws that ATV's are classified as 800cc or less and 900 lbs or less. That is under a Class 1 definition. Class 2 ATV's, is what the Rhinos are classified under. But that isn't until Dec. 12th if I'm not mistaken.

The laws are somewhat contradictory in that it refers to OHV's in one paragraph then ATV's in the other (page 27, 2006-2007 OHV reg's). I haven't worked with one CO that wouldn't interpret this as pertaining to both classes of ATV's.

on page 28 of the hunting reg's it says:

*ATV's are defined for the purposes of these regualtions as all vehicles not requiring Minnesota Department of Public Safety licensing, including trail bikes, 3-wheelers, 4-wheelers, 6-wheelers, tracked vehicles, and other similarily manufactured or homemade vehicles.

So yes, the Rhino's and similar vehicles are included in the regulations for the deer hunting seasons.

The MN DNR is currently in the process of identifying trails where Rhino's could be used, but as far as I know right now, this isn't completed. So I would have to say no to your question, but that is going to change.

I am curious to see what they are going to make avail to the rhino class atv's? I wouldnt be surprised(hope not) if they restrict them to the improved trails(class 5 gravel).

It would be nice to own one, at the same time, it would be nice to use one for more than yard work if you are lucky enough to own one.

A couple things that prompted the changes for ATV's are the growing number of UTV's (Class II ATV's) and the need to establish areas/trails that are more appropriate for these vehicles.

The power to weight ratio is significantly less than the Class 1 ATV's so there is a lesser chance they will be spinning the wheels as much.

They obviously weigh more and are wider, thus the need to identify trails with the right terrain that can sustain the extra width and 300-400 lbs these machines have.