• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Monster box

Dakota Iceman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out yesterday, Otter will not have any Monster Boxes at the Ice Show due to the space available but, my Otter Ice Machine will be there for display. If you want to check out and purchase a Monster Box at the show, Otter will ship it to you from the factory.

Looking forward to seeing the beast again this year Dave. I thought last year was really cool. Coming down the escalator only to have that tank greet you at the bottom. Are those big tires on the machine this year?

I just ordered the medium box and the auger shield......but they dont have the bucket holders available wich is a major bummer and although i am eagerly looking forward to the merchandise arriving i was less than thrilled at the shipping rates that otter has on these products...that combined with the fact that they have NO network of dealers that carry any of their products is a real drag because even if you find a distributor...the distributor is gonna rack you the consumer with the shipping charges anyway...also i am very concerned and have yet to find out...but their was an additional note on the HSOforum that i may be hit with another 30.00 "handeling fee"... i dont understand that but i will post if i get hit with that as well. So...with that said i will let you guys know how this whole transaction turns out...I am hopeful this turns out to be a pleasant experience..but I have that sickening feeling in my gut right now.... Iceman out>

Iceman, send me an email please. I believe the shipping rates are those charged by the shipper. I'll check with Otter execs when I see them on Sunday. I'll be out of town until Sunday afternoon.

so i purchased the medium monster box.. anyone ever installed one on the new polaris wheelers..? I was looking at it, im not sure where to even start. There is no room to slip the nuts and a wrench under the rack between the fenders..also, i noticed the lip on the back of the rack, do you have to actually have to mount the box ontop of that..? because if you were to mount it in the groove at the monster box haves, it wouldn't allow the seat to be removed.. any help would be much appreciated.. thanks

Nick

I have the medium as well but haven't installed it yet. I have a Grizzly and there is very little room between the rack and top of the fenders too. I set the box on with the vertical lip of the rack inside the channel of the Monster Box. The seat will still clear for removal on mine.

I think I'll take the rack off and then drill the holes, and then remount the rack and then mount the box. I'd like to get two of the brackets as far ahead as possible, but I don't think it'll work with the limited clearance. I think the U-bolts may be too long also regardless of where I bolt it on. I don't think it's going to be a fun job.

Nick,

Here's the location of where the medium Monster Box mounts on a Polaris Sportsman.

medboxlocationtx5.jpg

Mount the Monster Box with the U-bolts pointing up, into the box; two in the most rear and two in the most front positions. You could cut the U-bolt length if you wanted also.

With the seat removal handle under the back of the seat, I tie a small diameter piece of rope on the seat lever, since with the box mounted, it's hard to get my fingers in between the box and seat in order to lift up on the seat removal lever. With the small piece of rope tied to the seat removal handle, I just pulll on the rope and lift the seat off. I have the Monster BOx mounted so the seat just scraps past the Monster Box.

I'll take some photos of this tonight to give you a clearer idea on how/where I mount the Monster Box.

Dan,

Basically the same goes to you as I mentioned to Nick. Mount the Monster Box with the U-bolts pointing up, from under the rack. I know it's not the way the instructions stated but, in the old days, the fenders were a little further from the rack tubes and it was possible to mount the Box as instructed. Nowadays, with the fenders so close to the racks on some machines, a universal mounting kit is very tough to have.

Yeah, I was considering doing that, but with the bolts up through the box it ruins the nice, flat surface for storage and nothing will ride well back there (think batteries, water jugs, etc). It may be possible to have the bolts towards the edges more to somewhat solve that problem. I haven't spent any time on it yet other than taking it out of the box to see how it looks and fits.

I was thinking of cutting the U-bolts down but the threads only go up an inch or so, therefore another fabrication would be needed. I hope to take a closer look at it this week as for now it's just been sitting on the rack looking pretty in the garage. grin.gif

Quote:

I just ordered the medium box and the auger shield......but they dont have the bucket holders available wich is a major bummer

I found out the bucket holder is now available and in stock.

Quote:

and although i am eagerly looking forward to the merchandise arriving i was less than thrilled at the shipping rates that otter has on these products...that combined with the fact that they have NO network of dealers that carry any of their products is a real drag because even if you find a distributor...the distributor is gonna rack you the consumer with the shipping charges anyway.

also i am very concerned and have yet to find out...but their was an additional note on the
HSOforum
that i may be hit with another 30.00 "handeling fee"... i dont understand that but i will post if i get hit with that as well. So...with that said i will let you guys know how this whole transaction turns out...I am hopeful this turns out to be a pleasant experience..but I have that sickening feeling in my gut right now.... Iceman out>

Iceman, from what Otter execs tell me, your freight is $29.35 for the medium box and the auger shield. The $30

fee, which you may be suject to, is for items that go by freight truck and are a residential delivery. Some freight company charge Otter $35 if they have to deliver to a residence instead of a business. Not easy to maneuver those semis down the residential areas is the explaination from those freight companies but, there's really nothing Otter Outdoors can do about those freight charges.

Bump.

I picked up an 04 Sportsman, and am looking for an monster box for ice season. Is Otter going to have them again at the St. Paul ice show again this year?

Not sure on the size yet, as is why I want to see them in person.

Dave and others, they seem to work great for ice season, but how do you like them for hunting? We really only use our wheeler hunting for picking up downed big game. Would a 240 pound buck ( I wish) fit on the moster box?

I suppose I can always take it off and use the factory rack too.

Thanks. This is a great thread and needs to be resurrected.

Chode,

You didn't see my buck on the Monster Box on page 4 smirk OK, it wasn't 240 but about 185.

Otter usually doesn't bring MB's to the Ice Show. They can swing you a deal at the show and have it shipped, however.

For hunting, same as ice fishing, it's nice to be able to throw your gear in the Box to keep things dry.

chode... I picked up an otter medium monster box at the show last year. they have an otter rep there, but no product. I went to the marine general shop, brought one of their guys over to the otter guy and worked a deal. got it for $199 and they paid shipping. that was on friday, the box was in my garage on tuesday.

chode... I picked up an otter medium monster box at the show last year. they have an otter rep there, but no product.

No ATV Product on hand. Otter does bring a ton of fish shelters, however. grin

I mounted the medium monster to my Honda 420 two days ago. Works well, I can get all my stuff inside that I want to. I ran the U bolts from the bottom tightened then cut off. Place a half inch of high desity foam padding over bottom to eliminate shock to Vex and Camera etc. Mounting a Ryan auger carrier to front and should be ready to roll.