• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Monster box

Dakota Iceman

I have made the decision to purchase one of these this year. My only question is what size? If there are any of you who own one of these could you give me your thoughts regarding the size diffrence between the medium and large versions? I would like to be able to store my big buddy heater, marcum flasher and a aqua-view along with a 11 lb propane tank. The large one says it can store 3 five gallon buckets inside but that is not a issue with me as I plan to get the bucket holder and ice auger holder on the attachment system. Do you think the above mentioned items could fit in the medium...maybe less the propane tank as I am still undecide how to tranport that at this time. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Iceman out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why look for another attachment to haul the LP tank, when everything you mentioned would fit inside the large Otter Monster Box? I have all of the Monster Box and accessories and through use for years, they're just as new as I received them.

Here's one of my Monster Box setups. My 11-pound LP tank with Mr. Heater still attached fits in the lower right corner. Marcum 560 camera, LX-5, bait cooler, rod bag plus more all fit inside, out of the weather.

mbshieldbucket2uf.jpg

Well....I guess there is no reason not to go with the large vrs the medium. I was basing my opinion on pictures I have seen of the monster boxes and I figured the large was probably made for some of these big atv's(700cc plus). I am running a 06 honda rancher 400AT. maybe the extra weight would help with traction when I'm hauling the otter? In any event I want the security of being able to lock my stuff up in the box when I go into a tavern or baitshop and I believe these are the ticket. Thanks for your help Dave. Iceman out>

No problem, Iceman. If you need any more information, don't hesitate to ask. Oh, and don't forget, the Monster Box has recessed lids to haul even more gear when going from spot to spot. (cargo net not included)

recessedtopei0.jpg

The Otter auger tube slides on or off the Otter Monster Box in a matter of, oh, 3 seconds wink.gif Looking at this photo of the medium Monster Box, notice the two V-shaped tongues on the side of the box (a bungee cord hook is in the top of one of them. The round knob at the bottom of the box is for a Kolpin gun scabbard and is not part of the Monster Box).

medboxic2.jpg

The backside of the Otter auger tube contains two V-grooves, so, you simply lift and slide the Otter auger tube down onto the two V-tongues on the side of the Monster Box; just like a tongue and groove fit. To remove the Otter auger tube, simply lift and slide the auger tube off the side of the Monster Box. No pins and clips to remove when taking the Otter auger tube off or on a Mosnter Box.

In this photo, with an Otter fuel tank installed, you can just see the tops of the two V-tongues on the side of a Monster Box. You can also see the V-grooves on the side of the fuel tank (so, the fuel tank can slide on and off either side of the Monster Box).

p7161921ba7.jpg

Gas tanks, water tanks, bucket holders all simply slide down onto the two V-tongues on the side of the Monster Box. It really is a slick system.

puddleduck,

The above is how the Otter auger tube fastens to an Otter Monster Box. If you just purchase a plain Otter auger tube, you'll have to fabricate a tube holder, strap the tube to your ATV's back rack or I believe there's a couple aftermarket places that sell "holders" for these tubes.

iceshieldholder0he.jpg

The Otter Ice Shield 1st came out as just the tube while the Monster Box Ice Shield was being developed. Now, Otter offers both style tubes, for the Monster Box and just the tube for protecting vehicles while hauling augers.

Moose carries a "quick release ice auger holder" that contains an Otter Ice Shield. Google "Moose quick release ice auger holder" and you should find it online.

castmaster,

They basically do on the newer Sportsman machines. You can still see the "glow" from the taillights but not the complete tailights. The bottom of the drop down section on the large Monster Box hangs 5-inches below the rack surface, to give you an idea. That's why Otter incorporated a tailight on the large box.

After reading this post, I emailed Otter for a catalog. Geez, I had it in my hands in just a couple of days. I have decided on the medium size read box. I think it has a good balance of enough space for most of my uses and not looking to huge.

I figure between my sled that I pull with my ice gear, the medium size box with an attachment or two, plus my front rack if needed, I am in pretty good shape.

Where is the best place to buy?

Recieved an email back telling me the only store that Orders the Medium box is in Grand Marias no stores in MN have ordered the large.

I sent another message asking if I can purchase direct at the door of their shop in Maple Lake. The response I recieved was:

You can purchase from our location and pick up an item to save on the shipping. However we do not have a showroom to look at the product everything we have is in packages.