• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sled oil vs. boat/gen purpos 2-cycle oil

Steve Bakken

YES- there is a big difference. The main difference are flow and shear characteristics. Your snowmobile needs to have excellent low temperature flow, but put up to high engine temps, opposed to an outboard needing low ash producing oils, as they run quite cool compared to most 2 strokes. In my opinion, a general purpose 2 cycle oil is garbage. It will work, but you can run into performance issues in the best case, and engine failure in the worst. A good rule to follow is to use an oil that your brand recommends and mix it right (if you don't have an injection system) to produce the best performance and longevity of your machine. It may cost a bit more, but it truly is cheap insurance.

I don't think it should matter much in your ice auger as there really isn't any flow unlike in an oil injected sled or boat motor. Regardless, I think I would use the proper oil for the motor. I'm happy with amsoil in my 2 strokers.

Not only using snowmobile oil, but manufacturer's recommened oil is also a good thing. Got a small engines book for a chainsaw class I took and they had some really good pics of engines and spark plugs after using recommened oils and other brands (which were good brands as well.) Big difference.

You don't want to use boat oil in your auger as it is formulated for a cooler running engine. Outboards are water cooled and augers are air cooled. I use synthetic oil for my sled and it seemed to run better since I switched. I agree with using good oil as being cheap insurance.

I have used Amsoil in everything for many years. I recectly started using a specific brand for sleds but that is only because of exhaust valve maint. Amsoil Intercept seems to keep them cleaner but i would not hesitate to use regular Amsoil in sled again. That is what I use in boat and all other 2-stroke motors around the house including auger.

Let's hear it for our government for helping foul up things and make it a lot more confused.gifconfusing. The government EPA and emissions requirements have necessitated that there be a number of different 2-cycle lubes today.

Many of them can be used fairly interchangable, but you will not get the best performance.

AMSOIL actually has 5 different ones now, 2 that are pre-mix only and 3 that can be used either injection or pre-mix:

1. Pre-mix only for air cooled engines, Saber Professional, can be mixed as lean as 100-1 for ALL engines (and AMSOIL gives you lubricant guarantee), though many people prefer to mix it richer at 80-1, and even an 50-1 it is still smokeless in most machines. AMSOIL product code ATP

2. Pre-mix for water cooled - outboard - engines, now mostly the smaller engines. AMSOIL product code ATO

3. For outboards, HP Injector for all water-cooled oil injected machines, can be used pre-mix at 50-1. AMSOIL product code HPI

4. For Power-valve engines, which include almost all snowmobiles and their wet cousins the jet-ski, use AMSOIL Interceptor product code AIT.

5. For High Performance/racing/ and all modified 2-stroke engines, AMSOIL Dominator Racing oil - for oil injection or pre-mix at 50-1. Almost all 2-stroke bikes and many 2-stroke ATVs prefer to use Dominator.

Use my links below for any other questions or to access the store and buy direct.