• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ethical question

almostthere!

I personally would try to jump it and arrow again but that is me but it depends on how good of a shot you have. Some times they will be arrowed and not die but if it does die and a rain comes through and you can't follow the trail you've just wasted an animal.

I would try to sneak up & stick it again. I've done that with a couple of deer, one I missed, one I didn't, but I got both of those. If it's in heavy brush where you can't get a shot & you're sure it's hit good, then I'd just come back later.

I had another deer many years ago that we found bedded, with the arrow still in it, stuck in the shoulderblade. It hopped up & took off never to be seen again.

A serious question with lots of factors that could swing my decision either way. If you believe it to be fatally wounded but have the ability to up and bolt if pushed, I would probably back out and leave it otherwise you might never find it. On the other hand, if you believe there's not much of a chance of that happening, I'd deliver one more arrow. I had to do this last year when I realized I had a shot that went high and spined a doe. I made the determination in a split second that she wouldn't be able to get up and moved quickly with my bow drawn and aimed the whole way I approached her.

Even though you are talking about archery I had 2 deer I trailed for guys last year that happened to. One was a pistol deer. Dad made a good shot quartering through but the doe ran off and circled. I hit the trail where it crossed the road and then saw it laying there. Eyes were closed and it was sitting with the head up. We did shoot it again. It was daylight though so we could. Another one I trailed and saw the same way. We did jump this and shoot it again as well.

I few years back a friend trailed a bow buck into the evening and they kept jumping it. They finally got close and the guy reached over the buck and stuck it with a long knife in the heart like a matador and jumped back. The buck expired there.

Ethically I know we all want to kill it with the first and only shot but if you are close and able I would go for the kill and not let it sit and possible suffer.

I am for quick and humane too. But what if you see the deer - out of bow range - and believe it will be long gone before you get within bow range once it sees you coming? Then you have no deer and it still dies. But if I was within bow distance, I would draw and aim as quickly as possible like many others have said.