• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfin

Roughfisher

Hey roughie! Nice catch ya got there mister. laugh.gif

I should dig up a picture of one I caught on Lake Pepin. Brightest dang green ya ever saw! And it has the spot on the back too. It was a fish that was caught in the spring time on a jig and crawler.

I seem to have noticed that Bowfin I catch up north, or in a nice lake seem to have the "spot", and ones I catch in or attached to a river seem to have diff colors and no spot. Like the river ones are a sub-species?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Quick note about the eye spot on the bowfin. . . males have it, and females do not, and that is a really nice fish. Bowfin is one of my favorite species of fish to catch. In my opinion they are one the best pound for pound fighters.

Do you guys think these fish are good for a lake? I have heard many people say they kill them because they eat anything that is put in front of them, and a lot of guys claim that they kill a lot of sunfish when the sunnies spawn. I think they are wrong because every lake I know of that has a lot of doggies also has a ton of panfish. Another thing I have found is that if you can get a good tough skinned hot dog and get it on a phelps floater you will pound the doggies on the outside of a deep weed edge in mid summer! Not joking there either!