• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storm 800

dustin85

I have an opportunity to pickup a mid 90's Storm 800. Track is studded. I've been told that it has a clutch kit. The guy says it runs well and guarantees it will start on second pull if I show up to check it out. What do you think it is worth??? He said he would let it go for $500....... What do you guys think about that??-Later!

Dustin

You can't go wrong for $500, however...

I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of a snowmobile.

Mid 90s Storm has dump for a suspension compared to newer sleds. So a mid 90s Storm with all mod parts is good for the drags and thats about it IMO. I would have never said that years ago but you can get horsepower and modern suspension for not too much more money.

If nothing else, you'll be able to double or triple your money parting that sled out at swaps or HSOList.

I guess I'm just looking for a beater machine that I can get my money back out of it if I want to get rid of it. I could actually care less about racing. I'll try to get there next week to check it out.-Later!'

Dustin

I used to have an Indy Storm 800 SKS. Not sure the exact year, but it was in the mid 90's. Mine drank gas, the tripple didn't always run the smoothest and the suspension was nothing to brag about...but it did scoot along at a good clip. I wouldn't say it was the most dependable sled either, (mine anyways!) but for $500 bucks it should be worth it if the motor is O.K. You'll like it for just playing on and parts should be pretty easy to find.

I'd say go for it!! grin.gif

Sounds o.k., then. I was told its a twin. The guy is out of town for the weekend, so I won't get to see it 'till next week. Right now I have an 84 Yamaha SRV.....so I can relate to having nothing for suspension.

It is most definitely not a twin. The Storm has always been a triple with triple pipes. For $500 I wouldn't be too shy about buying it. You will however, like someone mentioned above get a machine that gets terrible gas mileage and a machine that rides you more than you ride it.

I went and looked at it today. You are correct, it is a Triple. I was just going off information I was previously told. It was rebuilt 2000 miles ago. Studs in track are worn. It has an XLT hood on it now-the old one got hit by a car. It started on 2nd pull. Seemed to run ok.Little damage on right side-nothing major.Machine is not currently licensed. As of right now, I don't think I am going to buy it. I just picked up some other toys, and would need to make room in the garage first.

thumpwagonp at hotmail. com

I ended up buying it. It's a 94. The guy gave me a new Flap for the back, a new trailing arm, new nosecone, and a couple jugs of oil to go with it. He peeled back one of the ski skins loading it on the trailer, so He sold it to me for $400 instead of $500. Now I just have to wait for snow to see how well it really works.-Later

Dustin

A $400 sled, I'd say you did alright. Besides ski-skins are over rated anyways. Yah if your moving up from that older sled, it's definetly a move up! my Indy storm was my first sled with any suspension...the sled before was a 1979 Eltigre 5000, so it was like riding on a cloud for me compared to the older sled. Of course it doesn't compare to the NEW stuff, but you'll like it fine as long as it keeps running good for you..hope all goes well.