• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ITP Mud Lite XTR on 06 Sportsman 500?

SomethingFishy*

I am looking for another set of wheels and tires for my 06 Sportsman 500. I would like something that handles well on the trails, maybe in the mud, and most importantly on the Ice and in the Snow.

I have been considering the ITP Mud Lite XTR's but can't figure out between the 26" tire or the 27" tire. My stock tires are 26". If I do the 27" I am debating between the 12" or 14" rim. Will the 27" rob me of power?

Is there any pro's or con's to each of these? Is there a better option? A few of the guys I ride with use these but they both have different machines than me.

Where do you guys buy your tires? Is there a good deal local place or am I venturing online for a deal?

Thanks,

Josh

i got the mud lite AT's because I was concerned about weight as well, they are still a 6ply tires but really light

xtr's are a great tire just heavier, I wouldnt think the weight would effect the sportsman too much

i get my tires from rockymountainatv free shipping and you dont have to worry about getting them mounted they will do that as well. cheapest place I know off, unless you can find a shop to match

Something fishy,

From my past experience I would go with 12" rims and 26" tires. The 12" rims just because I think you will find more selection and a better price. 26" tires because it is only a 500, it is a good motor but 27" I think are slightly too big for it and would slow it down and one inch at that point would not make enough of a performance difference to make less power worth it. Also, I would take a look at ITP 589's. They are a bit more aggressive, (slightly heavier), tire with a harder rubber, so they won't wear down as fast as the mudlites. Also, they are a great snow tire. I had 25x10 589's on my wolverine and in the winter I had to plow trail for all the big bore machines with lesser tires.

I have had mud lites on all of my wheelers. I recently put a complete set on my Polaris 6x6. 26x9x10s fit perfectly on the fronts with the stock rims. These tires do not wear bad and last a long time. I put on 2000 miles on a 04 sportsman 500 and they looked brand new. Just try to make sure you stay off pavement. Best tires on the market I have tried many and keep going back to the Mud Lites. My 6x6 is unstoppable. Go with them mud lites this is a guy who has been using them for a long time.

I didn't know you wanted rims too. I check it out. From what I see on hsolist a set of XTR's and rims will cost around $650, depending on size of tire and rim size. Some offer free shipping and some are $50. Item 280015768230 is one example.

I have a 04.5 500HO sportin' 27" ITP aluminum wheels and 589's. They went on about a day after picking up the new wheeler. I work this dog HARD and have experienced no lack of power whatsoever... And I'm still on the original belt with barely any signs of wear...

E.L.E. has some good points but the 500 is a torque monster. 27's are nothing for this power plant.

After close to 1000 hard miles... The proof is in the pudding... grin.gif

get maxxis mudbugs they will do circles around the mudlites in any situation and they are fairly light.

you better stick with stock size or 26" tires, the 27's might rub..but i am not sure on the clearance on polaris's but when you step up to 27, 28, 29's it starts to wear your axles and everything out faster and you can tell a power loss. I would say put 26" lightwieght tire like a mudbug/mudlite/bearclaw if you dont want a noticable power loss and a 26" executioner/muddzilla/589 if you just want a mudtire..i would use you stock wheels if you are staying 26" and buy some lighter aluminum ones if you are going bigger.

Moosehunter,

Good to hear that the 27's aren't too big for your sportsman 500. Thinking the 27's are too big was an educated assumption because my dad has a 500 HO with stock tires, but I wasn't completely sure. Also, I didn't say lack of power, just less power. Do you have any type of lift, I kind of thought they would rub maybe?

Ryan