• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Fishing/Swimming on the Brule

Cheffrey and myself made our first night trip to the brule for Browns this year. Luckily the water temps are still warm because as we were walking to our spot I made a comment stating that the walk wasn't as treacherous as i had remembered. No longer then two seconds after I said that, Cheffrey goes down and all I see is bubbles and a hand holding a can of red-bull above the water. blush.gif (he was ok) Talk about irony! Well anyways we ended up getting 2 browns around 20 inches and lost a couple nice ones. Had lots of rises and rolls but few hookups. Great night to be out and very "refreshing" in Cheffreys case.

Pout Slayer, you still out there man? We need to hook up one of these nights and bang some browns.

Oh, man. What a mouth that guy has. Never trust Quick with anything you want to keep secret......The fish we caught were residents but some of the girth we felt on lost fish lead me to believe that there may be some lake runs roaming in those parts.

Steve if you go call me. Its 4 miles from where I live.

How long do the browns run in the Brule? BD110 and I are talking about hitting it, but August is looking tough. Can a guy still get them in September?

Brian

The Browns typically start to run around the end of jult and early august and winter over in the upper stretches of the river and then re-enter the lake in the spring. I have had my best luck in the end of august and early september, but have caught browns fishing for steelies right up until the season ends in november. Both fish we got were nice residents but there was evidence that there were some lake runs in there. For about an hour the whole area we were fishing sounded like 200 beavers slapping their tails all around us. If the last fish i had on was a resident i would have been very very surprised. shocked.gif I think I'm heading back tonight.

The fishing is good til the season closes. Darker the better. Moon light makes it for tuff fishing usually. A nice overcast dark night where I cant see my lure on the end of the rod seems best. Be careful some of them locals can be down right nasty. Also beware of people canoeing.

And if ya see a big bearded guy with no waders thats the one and only "Poutslayer". Hit him up for info he knows his stuff and puts in a lot of hours down there.

I got out last night and got 2 nice lake runs in a spot that takes some work to get to. I also got 3 residents between 10 and 16 inches. Nothing til the moon went down about 2 am and then they went nuts for about a half hour. Had a few more hits and called it a night/morning.

There's lots of water out there, don't be shy to explore and get away from the "big" crowds. wink.gif

I am pretty sure they are just starting so i assume trollers could have some success and it will only get better as the steelies, cohos, and kings begin to stage as well over the next month and a half. I haven't actually heard of any reports, but would be interested to hear how people are doing out there.

Where do you run from? Port Wing or Superior?

First off, thanks to Deathroe for pointing this post out. Secondly, are the same techniques used for the browns as are used for steelhead (lots of weight and bottem bouncing). Also, what patterns work best and is it worth trying during the day? thanks

No Prob smile.gif. I have heard using spawn while bottom bouncing will work. Also, the real fun is at night with surface baits you would expect to use for bass. Jitterbugs and Heddon Field Mice have gotten me some action. I would imagine stoneflies and other terrestrials would do the trick as well. Anyone else know of some hot baits? I won't have a chance to get out till next weekend, but am looking forward to it. Mating on the big lake is fun, but i haven't reeled a fish in for a few weeks. crazy.gif

If you are a spin fishing guy, rap j-9s, jitterbugs, poppers, and manns a-minus are all good baits. If you like to fly fish surface baits such as mousies and bass poppers work well. Streamers such as clousers and wooly buggers will also catch fish. If you were to fish during the day i would go more along the lines of steelhead techniques, i would find the deeper runs and holes and drift them with flies. Spawn will work a little later into the run.

From my experience, fish are more aggressive when the water is warm and i think there are better presentations at this time. Spawn is a huge part of a trouts diet when they enter these tribs. However, there aren't any fish in the rivers actively spawning right now. In a couple months it will be a whole nother story but right now i'd go with flies or hardware. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, i just usually save spawn for extremely cold or muddy water......or when everything else i've tried fails to catch anything grin.gifgrin.gif.

where were you fishing? remember between stones bridge and winni it's an artificials only section of the river. let us know if you find any steelies, I might take a venture myself in the next week or so to see if i can find an early ariver or two.

I was actually at 2, so the crawlers were permitted. No, i wouldn't be guilty of such a foolish offence. I sure didn't think i would run into steelies just yet. I was thinking more like a month from now, that's about when i started catching last year. What about you QS?

anyone know what the brule looks like after thursdays rain?? I'm not totally sure they got any there but accuweather says they did. Thinking of going up there this weekend and want to know if its fishable/worthwhile.......thanks

rain didn't do much, water is still low on all south shore streams.....but a few fish are still moving in. i fished a different south shore stream and found 3 different species of lake run fish. grin.gif if we get some rain things will get going soon.