• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer in the marsh

Sheesh, just when you think you've posted all the relevant data, someone's gotta smart off! Kidding, of course! grin.gifgrin.gif

It was about 10 a.m. and the light was a little hot, but there were some hazy clouds over the sun, which kept the shadows from losing too much detail. I also liked the translucent ears. I have a group of similar images of this doe. They are among my favorite deer images because this girl is being such a typical summer deer, and because the cattail leaves and grass seem to hug her like a comfortable blanket. She is so perfectly a part of her landscape. Nothing says summer like an unwary red doe in green grass.

I had parked the truck and was leaning against it, and she was feeding about 30 yards away in the marsh grass. Straight downwind, too. I had to throw rocks to get her attention. Yes, the lore of the wildlife photographer. When animals ignore you, throw rocks! Or, well, unless it's a grizzly. blush.gif

just a great deer image Steve!....I noticed you mentioned the distance to the doe was about 90 feet or so.......I certainly can't get a clear image as yours with my fixed lens(28mm-300mm)...I've taken some decent deer shots the last couple of years but I gotta be "close"...as in the twin fawn pics from last year that I took (like 15'-20' or so)......how many times does a deer stand and let you take 35 pics at 15'-20'..lol!....sure I can zoom but certainly loose the quality....again...nice photo......jonny grin.gif

Thanks fellas. Shoot, DD, it's easy to hang grass from a stuffed deer! smirk.gif

I just remembered how heavy the dew was that morning too. Looking at the neck, you see how she's picked up all the moisture off the grass and cattail stalks.

I keep shooting deer. I probably have 2,000 images of deer. I keep shooting them because you just never know if the one you shoot today will turn out to be something spectacular.

Like fishing. You may have caught a bunch of bass over six, walleyes over eight, pike over 20 or muskies over 30, but you keep fishing because of your love of fishing . . . and the seductive possibility there's something out there that will truly blow your mind.