• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ouch!!!!

A buddy of mine bought my old bow and he tried out my new Switchback. His first shot was right on but he got a big "Kiwi" on his forarm. I was going to call it a Raspberry but it was at least the size of a kiwi.

Another neighbor did the same thing the week before but it wasn't that bad.

Yesterday I picked up an arm protector. I have never hurt myself to that extent, but I thought it would be a good idea.

Anyone else use those deals?

LOL, that's kind of one of those rights of passage in archery, which usually occurs with new shooters that try to keep their arm too straight. Anyone who's shot a bow has done that. An armguard is definitely a piece of equipment an archer should have. It's main purpose is to prevent the "raspberry" or "kiwi" in this case, but it also keeps your sleeve out of the way when you're hunting. Nothing could ruin a shot quicker than the string hitting some clothing material. Last year I started using a cloth armguard made out of some stretchy material, just slide it over your hand and up your arm, it worked real well and was more comfortable than the standard armguard.

Brian

I think that happens because the draw length on your bow is too long for your buddy and neighbor, possibly could work if they held the bow differently.

bmc...good point...its good to shoot a few practice arrows with the hunting gear on..just to see if there will be any issues like that.

I used to use an arm gaurd. I got away from it because you never really know then if you are doing something wrong. The only time I would use one is like what Brian said, when you need to keep your sleeve out of the way. If I have a short sleeve shirt I leave it at home. If you get bit every now and again it tells you to fix how you are shooting grin.gif Make sure to keep a bit of a bend in that elbow

If you haven't had any problems shooting without one, I wouldn't bother starting using it now.