• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bow hunting ?

smg04

this will be my first year with the bow, ive always been a slug hunter, i'm planing on buying my reg bow buck tag and another doe tag, i was wondering do archery licenes go by zones like shotgun hunters have or are they good for the whole state? also when i get the extra doe tag do i need to give them a permit area the same as i would for a shotgun doe permit? i just dont wanna sound like an (Contact Us Please) standing at the counter trying to buy a licenes and not having a clue what i need, thanks

Archery hunters can hunt statewide except in areas designated closed and Itasca state park (deer area 287) that is how it reads in the regulation book

for your other ? im not a 100 percent sure so someone can correct me but if you are in a manged deer area and buy a bonus tag for a anterless deer you must choose one managed deer area

Your regular archery license allows you take either a buck or antlerless. in managed permit areas, you may be allowed to purchase up to 4 additional anterless tags. I believe those tags are specific to the management zones, but not necessarily the area. For example, a management tag could be used in either zone 412 or 413 (both management areas) but could not be used as a tag in a non-management zone.

As a former retail license agent, I am certainly not going to miss trying to explain all the possible permutations of the various deer licenses this year!

The all season license is probably the best value, and the only option that lets you participate in the regular firearms season AND muzzleloader.

The simple explanation is: One tag, one deer. you can only shoot one buck in a season, and the maximum quota for any hunter is 5 deer (in intensive harvest areas) or 3 deer (in management zones)

thanks guys, the all season tag isn't really an option for me cuz i always slug hunt in zone 3b which doesn't allow all season or multi zone buck, im planning on doing some bow hunting around the rochester area and going for a buck for myself and poss. taging an additional doe for a coworker that doesnt hunt but loves venison, then i go slug hunting with my dad,bros,and uncles in late november

For archery hunters, Management Areas: (Maximum 2 deer limit) "you can use one management(bonus permit) tag in one management permit area" (deer limit equals 2: one deer on your regular license and one bonus permit tagged deer)

Intensive harvest areas (1 buck (regular archery license) and 4 antlerless(bonus permits) or 5 antlerless(1 regular license and 4 bonus permits). You can use either your regular license or your "bonus" permit first, meaning you can shoot an antlerless deer and use your bonus tag first to tag that deer and save your regular license for a buck or another antlerless deer. Once you use a bonus permit in a Management zone, you cannot use a bonus tag in another management zone, but you can use bonus tags in Intensive Harvest zones. You can only shoot one buck per calendar year on either a gun or bow license. The only area where you can shoot more than one buck is in the far northwestern corner of Minnesota (see the regs) and both bucks have to be shot in that area, you can't shoot a buck there and shoot another buck in another area.

With the all-season license, you can take three deer - one buck, two antlerless - statewide in areas open to deer hunting statewide during archery season. I had to call the DNR 3 times and e-mail them once to confirm this to be accurate but it is. So 3 deer (one buck, two antlerless) by archery statewide (even lottery areas) with the all-season license.