• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mini-food plot

Well, my wife thought I was nuts but I went out after work in the 100 degree heat to a nice sized clearing in our woods, raked away the leave and debris and raked in a bag of Biologic HotSpot into the dirt. I thought this might be the only good rain we're gonna get for awhile so strike while the iron is hot with "no-till" seed. It was on sale at Fleet Farm so I figured I'd experiment with a very small plot and see if it works out. I might try different homegrown seed combos next year based on great advice given to me on this board earlier in the Summer. As always, this board rules!

Thanks BlackJack. I'm already thinking of felling a few big trees in our woods (next year) that would really open up a nice spot for an even larger plot. Another option I'm considering is planting paths/rows along both sides of our road through the woods. I'm not sure how big of an impact it would make but it is a lot of fun and I will be moving my camera to the small plot I have started now come end of the month, when hopefully it will have taken off.

The Biologic Hot Spot mix says it is roughly 40 percent winter peas, 40 percent winter wheat, and 20 percent buckwheat. That is my paraphrased version of the more accurate label on the bag.

Not necessarily.

If you put down clover, it will regenerate itself.

If you put down brassicas, the deer wont hardly touch them until late fall when you get a couple good hard frosts/freezes.

So mini plot or no plot?

Go with a mini plot or two. Hey, they may be mini this year, but expand on them next year.

We started with a few small plots, and in the past couple years, we have worked the edges and made them bigger.

Mine is about 25 by 20 yards, so much smaller than usual but a little larger than the size recommended on the HotSpot bag. And I'm in the deep woods so unless I start cutting trees, I can't go much bigger and expect anything to grow. This is an experiment for me and the bag of seed ran $12 so no big loss if things don't work out.

The advice I got on these boards was to try some cereal grains and some brassicas. I may do the latter yet in another clearing of a similar size.

I've also read in several places that the best time to plant a fall plot in time for early bow season would be early to mid August. I timed my planting because I'm using no-till seed lightly raked into the soil and the big rain we got last night and the additional rain we're getting today. Who knows when it will rain again? confused.gif

The deer may hit it hard and wipe it out before the season grows but they may not. Worst case, I gave them some extra forage and keep them passing through my area more regularly in the meantime to eat the natural vegetation I already have going for them (young saplings and a slough with surrounding greenery about six feet tall. Best case, some of its still standing come bow season and they visit it while I'm in my blind.

We "talked" about plots for several years too.

Its nice to be "doing" plots now. The benefits will pay off.

I have just a few bags of MDHA plot seed left if anyone still wants to do a late summer planting. Its half price compared to the online prices.

Shoot me an email if interested

[email protected]

"Clover Blend"

Perennial Clover Blend

White Clover

Crimson Clover

Ladino Clover

Medium Red Clover

Alsike Clover

"Annual Blend"

Annual Forage Blend

Green Globe Turnips

Dwarf Essex Rapeseed

Rangi Forage Rapeseed

Crimson Clover

I wouldnt toss it down without some level of soil prep. Results will be poor.

The mini plots definatly work. Have had good luck with clovers, buckwheat, and the Hotspot stuff. One place we hunt we have a few small spots and another we actually plant about 8 acres. At the big spot we do a few kinds of clover, corn, and barasacas in about 4 diff smaller fields. Once we get a frost or two they get into the barasacas like its candy...

Im waiting for a rain sometime this month to put out 2 bags of the Hotspot..