• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice auger mounts

JohnMickish

How do you guys carry your augers on your ATV? I like the idea of the strikemaster tube but how is that mounted? Do most of you just put it on the racks with gun mounts or arent they strong enough? Lets see some pictures! Any inovative ideas for carrying all the other stuff out there too?

They make an actual Ice Auger mount that you can get at Cabelas for about $40. I use the utility holders. They look like u's mounted to the front rack they work just as good and are right around $20 for the set and you can use them for about anything, Guns, Shovels, rakes, etc. I personally like the utility holders better. Leave them on the wheeler all year to haul whatever I need. Hope this helps.

I use a 12" chunk of treated 4X4 lumber bolted on one side of the rear rack. the power head sets on the opposite side w tiedowns and the blade rides nicely on the 4X4. a problem arises when you have to use an extension to get through the ice....it tends to be very wide and you have to watch your turns. Otherwise, this is the cheapest, fastest way to secure it.

I bought one at the ice fishing show last year in st paul. I think I spent about 30 bucks on it if I remember right. Probably like the one in cabellas. U things on the front rack it works great. It was from an ATV dealer I couldn't tell you which one though.

I made my own. I made a "Y" for the auger part and an upside down L with a little bend in it to hold the head handle. I am not a fan of strapping it to 2 "Y" brackets and letting the head bounce around. I think the head should be supported and stationary. I have a high rack in back that I mount these to. If you can weld or know someone that can a piece of rod 7/16 4ft long is plenty. Cut, make your Y use the other piece bended it, weld a piece at a 45 degree angle for support. I then put heater hose over it so there was no metal on metal rubbing.

I have the open u style amd have never had problems with my powerhead bouncing around. I just hold it down with bungee cords and the shocks on the ATV take away the force of any jarring bumps.

Quote:

I used the "tuning forks" last year. I like them but I didn't like the velcro straps. I replaced the straps with small bungie cords.

Here is what I did I hated the velco my big clumbsy fingers couldn't get them to work on the cold days although they held them tighter than anything I have ever used. But what I used I got a set of IPI single gun holders and screwed them into the mounts that come with the IPI or mad dog ice system. Take the velco tops off and use the bottom base and it should fit. So I have all y yokes or tuning forks on all three. My auger just lays in there and I use the rubber bands and it holds great. If I remember I will snap a picture next weekend when I see my 4 wheeler again.

Quote:

Hey Tomevee,

How do you have the three buckets in back mounted, looks pretty cool
cool.gif

Thanks,

Sutty

also is that the lock and ride cargo box from polaris or is it an after market? I have seen the mad dog bucket holders but don't wanna give up my box.

got the box at wal-mart for $16.00 and auger tube on close out at gander mt.two bolts hold tube on and just remove and use box in summer.

I made the bucket rack it mounts in the reciever hitch and can be used with out interfering with any box.