• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wanted-- someone to teach me how to shoot!!

Hey all, my father-in-law just got a bow from a friend but he won't have timew to use it.. i wanna learn how to shoot so i can bowhunt this fall. need help quick!! Live west of willmar, any advice appreciated, Thanks!!

My advice to you would be to take the bow to a archery pro shop and have them check it out first,have em make sure everythings fine with the bow.One thing to consider is the draw length(How big of a draw your father in-laws friend has compared to you),which they would address at the pro shop.Could you be more specific?? What areas do you need help with?

Yeppers, go to the nearest proshop!!! let them take a look at it first and I would be willing to bet someone there will give you a few pointers and point you in the right direction.

Its very hard to teach someone how to shoot with just words, its much easier to show. I am on the other end of the state, it would be really tough...

hey dee M zee, i havent even taken it out of the case yet.. 1 yr old matthews i think.. i need help with everything seeing i'm a beginner... Only thing i remember about bows is phy-ed class in HS and that was 20 yrs ago!! lol confused.gif

basssmasher, I pass through Willmar on occassion and have always seen a sign for an archery shop near Eagle Lake. I think it's called Brad's 71 Bait and Sport but I could be thinking of another place. Anyway, there should be at least one proshop in the area. Otherwise, Scheels in St. Cloud (where I go) and Archery Country in St. Cloud are both good places if you can make it that way. I agree that that's the place to start.

I got into bowhunting on my ownand the archery shop manager at Scheel's was instrumental in helping me get set-up. I shot my bow there for the first time under his direction and he helped - and continues to help me pick out the gear I need - explaining to me why I need or don't need certain things. He also never pressured me to buy anything too fancy or overly expensive.

Once I got going, this board was also and continues to be very helpful!

Like I said,the first thing I would do is take it to a pro shop.They will be able to determine

1.If the bow is safe to shoot.

2.If the bow fits you.

3.What weight arrows to shoot with the bow

4.What GRN Broadheads/Fieldtips will perform best with your set up.

5.What Release to use(should you choose to use one)

Basically any question you could ever have about bows can be answered by your local pro-shop.These guys are usually hardcore bowhunters themselves and don't settle for workarounds.This is just my experience/my .02.

Better safe than sorry.

Ditto what Dee.M.Zee said. The archery shop manager at Scheels bowhunts a lot and is on a comeptitive shooting team so he knows what he's talking about. Just because its a bigger store like Scheel's or Cabela's does not mean they know less then a small pro shop. But at the bigger store, it's all about who helps you. Talk with that person and make sure they have experience. You can sniff out someone pretending really quickly.

Holy hannah! i just dug out the bow last nite, it's a browning, and i couldnt even hardly pull it back!! I am not the strongest person in the world, but I'm not a 98 lb weakling either!! the bow said it was set for 50 lb draw with 65% letoff.. if I read it right, it's adjustable from 45 lb to 60 lb draw.. Now what????

Bring it to a Pro shop,they can test the draw weight(set it lower if need be) along with the other services I've listed in my previous post. Start slow and progress .That way you'll avoid any injury's and learn proper technique.If I were you I would spend this season getting the bow set up,learning technique, and how to shoot the bow.Bow season is less than 2 months away,I truly believe it would be difficult to be prepared in time for this season.

As others have said, take it to a pro shop to be inspected for safty and they can also check its drawlenth, order you some arrows, etc. They will also probably have a range where you can shoot, they can give you a few pointers. I see you're in Benson, there is an archery shop called Owl Sports in Glenwood, or goto Brads 71 Bait in Willmar, or there is an archery shop in Richmond at the boat dealer right on hwy 55, thats where I bought my bow, I like those guys.

When you have had your bow checked out and have some arrows, if you still need help shooting, I'd be willing to work with you, I live by Sunburg, about a 25 mile drive from Benson.

Just thought I would add that a friend who lives in Pennock told me that Mel's Sport Shop in Spicer now has an extensive selection of bows/gear and - according to the friend - the owner sent his son to some sort of archery training school to learn the trade. So that is another option for a pro shop. Good luck with the bow. I believe there is time to learn if you start now and put in a good deal of practice.