• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Camera Help

have never used a scouting or trail camera before and currently do not own one. Does anyone have any advice on the best make or model for the price? I would rather not spend a fortune. What are the advantages to certain types. Also, any tips on use and setup would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Dave

For the money I like the Mopultre cams. I hope that is what they are called. You get a LOT of bang for your buck. About $100, plus $12 for rechargable batery. All of the major stores have them.

Do not get "Talked" into higher pixels You will not EVER need them. Trust me on that.

I am a so called professional and for a deer camera megapixals are a JOKE. Unless you are going to blow up a pic to 20 x 30. That would be nuts too.

My buck and a quater.

I've got two. A 35mm film and a digital.

I don't really like the film because then you have to get the pics developed to see what you got. So I'd recommend a digital because in most cases I just want to look at the pics on my PC, not print them.

Depending on your application I would take into account battery life. My first one couldn't make 2 weeks and it was dead. Not sure how long my new one will last but it's supposed to be much longer. I can't get to my property on a regular basis so I'm hoping to get 4-6 weeks.

My wife got me the 3M pixel Cuddeback so I'm not going to complain. I haven't gotten pictures off of it yet but I agree with Dahitman and it's probably overkill. For a scouting camera 1M pixel should be plenty, but I would go with a digital.

I picked up a Wildview 2.0 last fall but didn't like the fact you cannot view the pics on TV, you can only view them on PC, so, I returned it.

Investigated a little lately and talking with a guy from Stealth, the best bang for the buck is the Stealth WD2X for $219 plus you get a $20 rebate.

2 megapixel is plenty, built in viewing monitor, additional memory capability, external power source plug (which can use 12v Vexilar batteries). The WD2 is $169 before rebate and does not have the viewing monitor.

I think it's Moultrie that uses a 6-volt lantern battery and is another reason I din't like them, since I'd have to buy additonal batteries. I have plenty of 12-volt flasher batteries to use.