• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kids ATV

Biggerfish

I was hoping to get a litle help from you experts/past owners of kids ATV's. I am looking to purchase a 50-90 cc ATV for a 6 and 10 year old to share. I am overwelmed with the selection out there? Any recomdations and features I should concider looking for when selecting?

I dont know how well or how much experience they have or if a 90 would be to big compared to a 50 but I dont know too much about the 50's. I would say just buy a 90, because they will probably grow out of the 50 real quick.

We have a Polaris Predator 90cc thats been a pretty good quad. I think a stock one would be fine if you did some waterproofing on it first. The stator on the 2 stroke minis are very prone to burning out when they get water and mud up in them.

All of the UTM or universal tiawaneese minis are basically the same. The new Apex or Aasco are liquid cooled and have a better suspension set up, they are alot wider as well.

The Honda TRX 90 is the popular quad to have these days but it requires you to shift but you dont use a clutch. I feel this probably slows a new rider down as he/she gets used to that, but would assist the transition to a full sized quad as the kid gets older.

The Polaris Predater/Scrambler are all 2 strokes and basically the same quad, the TRX 90 is a 4 stroke. IM am not too familar with the suzikis and others.

But those stock units aren't made for alot of abuse, if your just doing trail riding etc you should be ok though.

I would guess that all the quads have some good setups. Just pick what works best for you.

there was also a thread a couple pages back on this subject heres the link:kids atv's

I bought a Predator 90 for my son. Also used to have a Scrambler 90 when my daughters were younger. They have a decent suspension and are a fairly good quad for kids. If you are going to be getting it wet and muddy, the brakes suck. After any kind of mud and water they are gone and you have to pull the wheels to clean them out. Don't know why they can't put disks on them. I haven't lost a stator yet, which is suprising as we've been through some pretty water/mud with it.

I would prefer a 4-stroke with disk brakes and a good suspention, but haven't found one yet.

One thing to keep in mind is if you buy one of the off brands (the cheap foreign ones) they are not built to the same standards as say a Honda, Polaris, Arctic Cat etc.

Remember that polaris is one of them "cheap foreign ones" with polaris stickers and plastic.Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki, and Suzuki are the quality ones with durability, and great resale value.

Been running ETON youth quads for a couple of years and have good luck with them. ETON manufacturers the Polaris youth quads, if I remember correctly. Also, just checked out some KYMCO youth machines. Just got back from a first trip with a KYMCO 150 and 300 and are worth a look.

Also, just go with a 90 since you can limit the throttle down. A 50cc is way too small for a 10 year old.