• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for input

Wade Joseph

my dad has an 04 400 with the gears, pretty nice lots of power with the high, low, and super low range. rides nice and everything, but you may want to check cat has one now with the locking differentials and that would be a big plus. I have an 05 grizly and it comes in handy. i would also think of big tires or something because them cats sit really low, even in comparison to my big bear the cat sits low. He stopped going in the woods mid winter because of getting stuck, i kept going all winter the extra clearance, backup of the locker, and big lug tires do alot for you.

If you are interested in reserching further or looking for a used machine these sites have alot....I just use the cat one because I like there sleds for a 4 wheeler give me a yami....thats just me though.

[Please read Forum Policy before posting again.]

Arctic Cat has the best ground clearance out there,with around 12" stock!The drawback is that you get a higher center of gravity,and an unneasy feel on sidehills!The Cat 500 has a differential lock now,05-06's,and a reliable "Suzuki" engine.Cat's are great for work,but lack a little for trail riding.

I own both a 2001 500 manual and a 2005 650 auto. I din't do a lot of trail riding, mainly use for hunting, ice fishing and work. I consider them more of a work machine than a trail machine as stated earlier. I like the power of both machines. My 650 does turn a little hard when in four wheel drive. I think they are quite stable and feel comfortable on hill sides. I like the manual shift better than the auto when hunting or pulling the fish house. Never use the low range on the 650 as you can do 55mph in low gear. The 500 is a better cold weather machine than the 650, they set them to run a little rich so makes for easier starting in the cold.

Quote:

my dad has an 04 400 with the gears, pretty nice lots of power with the high, low, and super low range. rides nice and everything, but you may want to check cat has one now with the locking differentials and that would be a big plus. I have an 05 grizly and it comes in handy. i would also think of big tires or something because them cats sit really low, even in comparison to my big bear the cat sits low. He stopped going in the woods mid winter because of getting stuck, i kept going all winter the extra clearance, backup of the locker, and big lug tires do alot for you.

If you are interested in reserching further or looking for a used machine these sites have alot....I just use the cat one because I like there sleds for a 4 wheeler give me a yami....thats just me though.

[Please read Forum Policy before posting again.]

Arctic Cats low to the ground? On which planet? confused.gif

i dont know about other ones, i was saying his doesnt have alot of clearance. to me 5-6" isnt alot and i know thats all it can have. Its an 04 AC 400. it may be an the one model that didnt have clearence, i dont know but its the one model i have experience with.

Quote:

i dont know about other ones, i was saying his doesnt have alot of clearance. to me 5-6" isnt alot and i know thats all it can have. Its an 04 AC 400. it may be an the one model that didnt have clearence, i dont know but its the one model i have experience with.

Does it have IRS or is it a straight axle on the rear?

I have a 99 4x4 400 manuel and it has been a very good 4-wheeler.It will go through just about anything.I use it mostly for deer hunting and pulling my portable on the ice.It has plenty of power for what I do with it.With the chains I put on it she will go through a fair amount of snow.Low range is pretty low but I have had places where it has been good.

Great machine,but not a power machine.I have plenty of clearance for going on the lake with snow.