• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab ate plastic dog dish.

hoggs222

My dogs have eaten some pretty wierd things and have always been fine, but I would look to make sure that he is having his regular BMs, the thing I would worry most about is a blockage of the intestine. I'm guessing he took it down in small bites and that it will pass normally. Just look for anything out of the ordinary. Funny story, my buddies dog had eaten a rock, so they took him to the vet to get an x-ray, in the x-ray you could see plain as day: 3 rocks (about golf ball size) and two raquet balls. They had to open him up and get those out...good luck with your pooch.

Setterguy has the right answer for you.

My lab eats any thing she finds that has any food remanants at all on it.

She has eatin plastic cups,paper plates,plastic toys,plastic throwing dummy that that I left with her while I went into the store to pay for the fuel.

She eat the top off it in a matter of minutes.

Just watch the dog and make sure it is going regularly, you probably will find bits and pieces in the stool if your watching close.

Cryons add wonderfull colors in the stools as well grin.gif

Benny

Some good advise has been given just keep an eye on the BM's

My dogs have eatin Plastic Flower Pots,Kids Trike,Beach Buckets,Wheels off HotWheels Cars,Inflatable Pool,Super Balls, & just this weekend the Griffon ate the float to my Vexilar cable ( He's starting to test me! there. frown.gif )

Good luck,

Chris

If you haven't already, I suggest you switch to a stainless steel dog dish. A bit harder for the dogs to eat. If you witness the dog eat something you want it to puke up, force it to drink hydrogen peroxide. It will puke shortly.

Actually the H2O2 - peroxide from the store does a very nice job at getting things out and not harmful. Nothing to use every day but works very well and is usually readily available. they all eat lots of funny stuff but the plastic should pass as stated. Too late now for the peroxide.

No, the peroxide will be vomited up with the unwanted stuff. The big problem is getting them to drink. You kind of have to hold their heads back and pour it down their throats. That's where it gets tricky. You don't want the dog to aspirate it. This may cause infections or pneumonia. I was taught this by a vet for emergencies. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Also, be sure that whatever you are forcing them to vomit is something that won't cause more damage on the way back up, i.e. Drano. As far as being risky to the hound you've put money into, I'd suggest learning some emergency procedures for when a vet isn't handy. I think your vet would be willing to show you what to do, if not, get a different vet. Dehydration, porcupine quills, fights with other dogs, poisons, these are all things that need to be responded to immediately, not after an hour of driving to try to find a vet that is open on Sunday evenings.