• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

k-9 Advantix or Frontline Plus

lawdog

What's the advantages of each and which do you use?

I thought we had a thread on this last year but I couldn't find it...

I have used Frontline Plus, but heard claim that Advantix was better so thought I'd get some opinions.

My vet recomends Frontline but i hear advantix has a mesquito repellent built in. I know frontline is waterproof which is important now that open water is becoming available for training. I would like to hear from those who use one or another or have tried both.

The staying power of the 2 products would be my criteria. I can't say anything about K9 Advantix because I use Frontline. The Frontline works just fine for me. My dog loves water and is in the water alot when at the lake and I haven't noticed any problems with ticks.

Mosquito repellancy is irrelevant IMHO. Your dog should be on heartworm meds so that risk is mitigated. Unless you just want your dog to not get mosquito bites I don't get the repellancy point.

Also on the heartworm meds topic. They now have generic heartworm meds that are cheap enough that you can give them 12 months a year and only have to take them in once every 2 years for the heartworm test. Something to think about.

Also I had my dog in a couple weeks ago and my vet said they are already seeing ticks showing up on dogs so start treating now.

gspman

Both Frontline and K9 Advantix are waterproof.

We used Frontline last year but are switching to K9 this year. The mosquito biting thing wouldn't be as important if it was just to mitigate heartworm. Like GSP said heartworm pills take care of that. I don't think they have had a case of West Nile in dogs yet but it may be something to consider as a reason for going with a mosquito repellant.

I don't know if it would repell biting flies but if it did that it would be a bonus because I know the horse/deer flies can be vicious.

All I can say is I use Frontline. My brother used frontline with his dog, (y. lab), and suggested it to me when i got my lab last year, so I went with it. Works great. Some people don't like frontline because the tick has to bite before it becomes effective. But that's it's job. It's not a repellant, it's designed to kil the tick once it's on the dog. Not sure if the other brands repel ticks or not. The waterproof factor really comes into play for me. She's in the water all the time. I just put frontline on my dog on Monday, so she's good for the next month now.:)

I used Frontline with great success for two years. A friend mentioned Bio-spot and the good success he has had. I switched to Biopsot and have run it for 5 years (including this one) and my dog has never had a tick. I run it from April until November and it costs $22. It is over the counter at PetSmart.

Frontline is a great product but it isn't worth the premium price. Its a way for vets to make a little extra cash in my opinion.

I like the Biospot, too. Not sure about the water proofness but I've had good luck with it. I also put a drop or two on each ear to help with the biting flies. Seems to work well and a lot cleaner to use than horse paste.

Another supplier along the lines of Drs. Foster and Smith is Revivalanimal. I think their prices are a bit cheaper in some cases than Fosters and Smith.

I had a friend that bought Frontline & Heartgard on hsolist last year. Great price and they were delivered fine. He said it they were both 2004 products. They must have an expiration date on them. Just ask the question if you decide to buy from anyone on HSOList. Expired product may work fine but do you want to take a chance.

Nope. Buy it from outside the US and you don't need that. There is no reason for a prescription for this stuff, its sold over the counter everywhere else. Its just a $ thing for the vets. I got a 12 month supply (six for my two dogs) for $81 and that included the shipping from Australia.

Lawdog is right on the money with that! There are many other products as well that you can save on if ordered outside the good old US of A! Good luck all!