• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice on open water crappie/panfish arsenal

kdawg

Well, you folks have really turned me in the right direction as far as ice fishing techniqes, equipment, tackle and the like. As the sun gets higher and the ice gets thinner, I'm getting pretty psyched for open water crappie and sunfish. However, my knowledge on the subject is sorely lacking compared to the those of you here in the know.

I've just ordered a bunch of CrappieTom plastics and collar-less jigs as well. What are some of the basics you guys would recommend me adding to my panfish weaponry? Thanks much!

And by the way, I've read the thread on the mini thill bobbers and technique CrappieTom employs.

I would definetly add 1.5 to 2 inch tube jigs to your tackle. I fish these plastics for crappies from early spring to late fall. They can be fished without bait, with a minnow, or a wax worm. The nice thing is they can also be placed on a beetle spin which works great. They can be fished under a bobber, or my favorite way, without a bobber and just slowly reeled/jigged back. They work on deep weedlines or in the reeds when they are spawning. Other lures I make sure to have include, flu-flus, 2" twister tails, small jigs, and 3 1/2 inch minnow baits. Godd Luck.

Good question! I'm in the same boat (hehe)... I am planning to learn a lot this season.. but what I DID learn last summer.. was how effective small jigs (1/16th or perhaps 1/32 now) and tiny TUBES are. I had great catches with little black and green tubes last summer. So besides a large collection of tubes, I am stocking up on rat-tails and stub-grubs.. and going to get some mini-stealth bobbers and 1/32 ounce jigs myself.

See the bass forum and the exude/Mr. Twister post.. we get a good discount there and they have some great panfish tube kits there.. I really stocked up this way.

Have a great season.

Tubes are a good bait, as are twisters. Some of the less bulky minnow shaped plastics (Exude Micro Shad) work well too. I have some new plastics to try this year as soon as the water opens eough for the boat and they look real promising.

As sure as the sun rises though, the best baits I have ever put on my line as soon as the boat is in the water, and even before, are the Culprit Paddletail, the crappie rat and stub grub. After the spawn we will see a shift in profile preferences and presentations where other plastics will catch up a bit, but for the most part, these three have quickly become mainstays for me. Other plastics are used as tools when dealing with water and weather conditions.

Crappie Tom, I do have a few questions. Are there any local places you can get the paddle tails or just threw the HSOforum for Culprit? Also I know your plastics can be purchased online at OutdoorProstore.com. The only issue I have is they are sold in bulk and I would like to get an mix of many but not in the large quantaties. Do you sell them direct? would you be willing to make some sort of trade for a mix of your plastics. Final questions does JR's sell the 1/32 collarless jigs. [Note form admin: 1/32 oz jigs can be found ay OutdoorProStore.com] Just let me know as I am now thinking open water. Last year early spring I had success on the paddle tails as well in your favorive purple/chartruse. Anyway just let me know. I really want to try the ones you introduced as the paddletail are great.

I am getting to where all of the jigs I either make or use are collarless. I carry a small bottle of super glue with me if I begin to realize a plastic slipping problem. Just a smidge on the hook shank and you're good to go. That keeper-barb found on so many of the jig heads today I think is bogus. Too large and too sharp, the keeper barb ruins more baits than it holds and does more for plastics sales than anything. The micro shad you mentioned.....last year I fished these little guys heavily in the Mississippi River backwaters while targeting sunfish and used collarless heads. If the fish were real cooperative, like a hundred fifty plus sunnies in a morning, I would use perhaps two micros. And if I was careful during color changes I could keep the used unit in the package for another day. I can also make the jigs for you. I have a metallic black paint that is killer.

I am not certain of the quantities that the stub grub and crappie rat come in on site. I think JRs has them in 10/pks. I use several plastics and anyone interested in knowing exactly which ones can e-mail me for ordering instructions.

I fished the Mississippi River at Alma for walleyes today and used all collarless heads with no issue at all.

I haven't seen the zip jig. I'll have to take a peek though.

Each season I "adopt" a plastic or two to "study" and already have this years' candidates....more on these as we get into mid-summer though. The choice to go to the collarless head remains yours of course, but I certainly see much less plastics damage while using them.

I'll second what Tom said about collerless jigheads. They don't tear up the baits as much and if rigged right they hold the plastics on just as good.

I highly recommend picking up some Power Tubes and Power Minnows. They have been my "go to" baits for a long time now.

There are plenty of other good options as well for the Panfish. Be sure to have a good selection of various plastics and hair jigs because you never can tell what these fish are going to want. laugh.gif

Good fishin',

Corey Bechtold

Something that has to be pointed out here again is when you are using a 1/32 head on these baits (stub grub and crappie rat) that you NEED to use a jig with a hook one size larger than what is customary. A regular 1/32head found at any retail outlet will come with a #6 hook, collared or collarelss in style. Very thorough field testing for three years has shown that the hooks in the jigs of this size need to be of at least a #4 to get the best hook-ups when fish hit. A number 6 will suffice nicely when using the Culprit Paddletail, but the body diameter of the stub grubs and crappie rats cover too much of the hook gap to allow for consistant hooking. While I know that Jeff at Scenic will make jigs using the over-size hook option, I am not certain that those found elsewhere are done with the larger hook.

I make all of my jigs with the one/over hook-sizing, regardless of what they are used for. I find that it helps with the hooking as mentioned, allows for easier hook removal, and will help to eliminate the hooking of smaller fish especially when crappie fishing and those pesky little sunfish are around.

Scenic makes collarless heads with the oversized hook upon request I believe. I am not certain whether they are making the over sized products as a standard head. They may be, as the demand has been here for this hook-size/head.

I think you need to clarify when you order from any source as to what the hook size is in the collarless heads, especially those used for small plastics or where a plastic's profile might require the extra room the over-size hook allows for.

I just called Jeff at Scenic and confirmed that , yes the jigheads at the pro store are using the #4 hooks. If you order from there you will be in the right market. Jeff also stated that he has a very broad selection of colors and a full stock if ordering from the pro store can't get you what you want.