• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feathers vs Blazer & Quikspin vanes

What fletchings do you shoot? I've also shot feathers because they seem to fly faster than vanes, but I miss out on hunting in the rain. I'm thinking of switching to either Blazer or Quickspin vanes. Do they slow your arrow down any, like the old style vanes do? If they do is there somekind of water proofing I can do to my feathers?

I'm also interested in the quikspin vanes. I've talked with a very credibal archery shooter and he loves them. I've talked to other people about the blazer vanes, but I don't understand the hype.

ANyway, sorry I didn't help, but I'd be interested to hear from those with experience.

I got out and shot today for the first time since Christmas and now I've got renewed excitement about archery. I'm probably gonna try to hunt turkeys this spring with the bow.

I'll let you guys know. I'm switching from 4" vanes to 2" Blazers. They are lighter and with less wind resistance you should pick up speed if you have them set up the same way as your old vanes. (i.e. helical, offset, straight) I'm waiting for my bitz jig from Cabelas and when I shoot them I'll post up.

Rolly

From what I've read the 2" blazers stabilize a broadhead very well. They are not as long, but they are taller than a standard fletch or feather. This extra height is able to grab more air and help stabilize the arrow very well. I tried them but had some clearance issues so I had to take them off. I'm now shooting a new bow and will probably fletch a batch with blazers in the future to try them out.

regarding quickspins, some people I know love them, some hate them. They get tore up quickly in a Wisker Bisquet rest.

I still like feathers the best. They sell some powders you can use to waterproof your feathers. Or a quick shot of scotchguard really works well grin.gif. The best thing about feathers is they fly good even damaged. When vanes start to get even a bit of wrinkle they start to effect flight.

Of the three you list, I'd stick quickspins at the bottom and either keep the feathers or try out the blazers. You have lots of time to play before any hunting season. As always, just my .02 worth of opinions.

This last hunting season I shot 3" quick spin vanes... I shot mech broadhead.. but I was very pleased with the arrow flight. This comming from a die hard feather dude for many years.

What I liked about the Quick spins... They were quieter than feathers, seemed a little more consistant.(some feathers seem to laydown or have a weight difference.) The vanes are heavier... but can get wet.. I am not a huge fan of hunting in rain, makes it so hard to follow a blood trail. And if I think tracking will be tough, I wont take the shot.

I have a buddy who uses Blazers and G5 Montecs with excellent flight all the way out to 60+ yards. I have used Blazers in the past with the same broadheads and had no flight problems. I currently shoot feathers, just my preference. Feathers are lighter than vanes, ballistics testing shows a slight advantage in speed for vanes but not until approx. 40 yards. Check out Steve Jackson's archery HSOforum for ballistics tables. To me, the bottom line is proper balance (FOC) in the arrows. If an arrow is properly balance it will fly well.

I went from 4" vanes to the blazers and am very happy I did. I am shooting ICS 400's with 3 blade 100gr muzzy's. I put the blazers on some arrows with a right heilcal and some with a 1% off set and saw no difference in flight.

I mentioned previously that I was probably going to fletch a batch of blazers to try out. I had the chance to try them out last night. So far I like them. They impact exactly the same as my trusty feathers. I shot groups of three blazers on one spot, and 3 feathers on the next spot and there was no noticible difference in flight or grouping. I have yet to chrono them or try them with broadheads but they seem just fine with target points. At this point I don't see a difference good or bad, only time will tell and the true broadhead tests in the spring.

There is a powder you can buy for your feathers that "weather proofs/waterproofs" them. It works quite well. I use feathers and hunt in the rain or wet conditions quite often. I haven't had any problem w/them getting soaked or flying any differently than when dry. One thing to consider is getting an arrow bonnet for your arrows...plus it helps keep them quite if you happen to rub them against something when stalking along or any other contact that occurs.

The only time I ruin a feather is if it is shot into something wet (wet target bales/animal) and gets laid down. Even so, I can re-wet it (clean blood out of it) and spin it fast between your hands and fluff it out and let it dry.

However, vanes are good, too, for durability. The Quickspins are real good for stabilizing an arrow quickly. I think the difference in FPS is really negligible in most bowhunting ranges, though. I'd err on the side of accuracy and forsake a few FPS.