• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Camo Pattern is best for you?????

Good god oh mighty call me Joe Friday,,,I have several sets of camo and looking back at 2005 bow season, I feel I was picked off way too much, I had better luck in a tree late season with snow camo...What's the best pattern for being in a tree later season, it seems all patterns still make you out as a black blob!!!! Has anyone ever tried Greywolf woolens, some nice stuff, available in preditor???

Thoughts on what works and what dont?????? grin.gif

That's always a challenge... I try to find a tree that offers enought diameter to conceal me, or enough background branches to break up an outline. Not always possible though. I have never used snow camo, and if you think about it, it doesn't matter whether or not if there is snow on the ground, it's the fact that the leaves are off the branches that expose you to the deers eyes. I use Mossy Oak and so far so good, didn't get busted once this year. But I am always aware of what cover is available for silouhette break-up. Fun things to talk about during the off-season. ooo.gif

Take a look at the original Skyline or Predator camo patterns, these are made for the late season and bare trees. To me most of the new realtree and mossey oak type patterns have way to much small detail that offer no advantage at distances of more than 15 or 20 yards. The original Treebark pattern from the late 80's early 90's had large areas of light and dark bark patterns that did a good job of breaking up the human outline.

A few years ago a bowhunting magazine did an article on the best camos for bowhunters, one picture that really surprised me was a black and white photo of a large plaid pattern at about 40 yards. It was hard to see the guy in plaid, until you saw his face or looked at the same picture in color next it. the large areas of light and dark did a really good job of breaking up his outline.

I also have some friends who have taken white tyvek painters suits and a piece of charcoal and made some pretty effective camo by making a few lines across and up and down. On a cloudy day it was easier for me to see thier boots and bows than the rest of them.

I have been useing Natural Gear camo for a couple years now and love it. My son wears it too and we have been able to see how it looks in trees and on the ground (by our eyes anyway)but it realy blends in. Son has the leafy suit and he is hard to see high or low.