• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Year -end story

BryanL

Just had to vent a little here. I have read the forums for over a year but rarely post, I just needed to get this off my chest. About two months ago I was bow hunting on some property I have permission to hunt around Cannon Falls. Had a pretty nice 8 point come in and I put what I thought was a really good shot on it. Probably got down a little two early to track it, about 25 minutes, because I saw my arrow sticking up and it was covered with blood. Anyway, after tracking for a few minutes the deer jumped and took off, like I said, stupid me. So I just backed off and went home for the night. After a very sleepless night I got my brother and a friend and we went out to find my deer. Well after the three of us searched up and down for the next 8 hours still no deer. We trailed it for quite a while and then the trail just seemed to disappear into a thickety swampy area. We pounded that area for a couple hours and then I came back again the next day and looked for another few hours. I felt horrible about losing the deer but figured maybe he actually lived. Took me awhile to get the deer out of my head. I actually hunted that same area for the next two weeks hoping the injured deer would limp by and I could put him out of his misery. Fast forward to yesterday. I'm out getting my last hunt in and as I'm leaving another guy who has permission to hunt the property pulls up and asks how it went. We talk awhile and I ask if he ever happened to see an 8 point dead or heard of anyone shooting one that all ready had a hole in it. He kind of looks at me funny and says "Oh that was your deer they took" Turns out there is this one neighbor who owns a little slice of property near where I shot the deer that was bragging up the 8 point he "found" that had just been shot. He said that since it died on his property and we wern't looking for it anyway it was his deer. Now I don't know if it died on his property or not, but he had to know we were out there looking for it and the least who could have said was I got it, its on my property , get lost. Of course we all know what the right thing he should have done was. In addition I highly doubt it even went on his property. Anyway, I just wanted to get this out of my system. Safer here than face to face with the guy where I would probably lose my cool. The biggest bummmer for me is that I have never shot a big buck in 18 years of bow hunting and that would have completely made my hunting year. As a side note, I left the guy a note just explaining the situation of the hunt. No accusations, very nice note, just asking him to call and let me know if he did find the deer and that it didn't go to waste and maybe to let me know just how big it was. I kind of figured if I didn't get a call my answer was he did take (steal) the deer. I really do just want to know if he got it for sure. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Last day to hunt is today and I got to get my stuff loaded up.

Bryanl,

For some reason deer hunting seems to bring out the best and worst of some people. I don't know too many people who would fight to keep a deer they did not kill, but I have hear many stories about this. Sounds like you did all the right things so don't get to worked up about it. Rest assured if they took your deer, they are't too proud of it.

Well it has been 4 days since I left the note asking them to call and no response. I totally agree with you Luckey, why on earth would you want to claim a deer you did not shoot. The only reason I can see and understand would be to feed your family and I don't think that could possibly be the case with all the atv's and other toys he has in his huge post frame building. Anyway, I am forgetting about the whole mess. As far as stopping by and just asking if he found it I will probably try one more time when I drop off my thank you gift to the land owner for letting me hunt. The problem is the property is about 45 minutes away making it hard to just drop in someday. 8.5 months to got until tommorows hunt!!!

Bryan- I understand your frustration. Our hunting party had a similar thing happen but this was about 12 years ago when i first started hunting, we had wounded a really really big 12 pointer. shot it behind the last rib and came out behind the shoulder, we tracked it for a mile having many chances to seal the deal but we were all about 12 to 13 years old. making the story short. We had tracked it to an adjacant property and found the gut pile. well what had taken place was two guys saw the buck lie down and decided to shoot it from the road and them one guy put his wife's tag on it. needless to say his hunting buddy turned him in for poaching because he never got to tag it. well we never got the meat or the rack. the buck scored somewhere in the 150's to 160's i believe. like you said took you 18 years to shoot a nice one. its' been 15 years since that season and still nothing that nice. so there's always next year.

Bry

Go see the guy, more than likely he'll be a great guy, if you approach it in a positive way you never know what will happen but you have to prepare yourself to be on your best... if he takes the conversation to a low point, remain above that a thank him for his time...keep us updated!!

i'd be suprised if he would not give you the rack. How much could it mean to him? Keeping a rack you didn't kill is like looking at the victoria secrets catalog and bragging that they are all your girlfriends. nothing to be proud of eitherway.

Great analogy Catman. Everyone else, thanks for the words of encouregement. I'm done complaining and obsessing over the whole deal. Read through this years hunting log that I keep and it was another great year that I wouldn't give up for anything. Saw a lot of deer, had a great time with family and friends and no one got hurt. Can hardly wait for next year when I can start taking my daughter out with me.

you know I think every outdoorsman has had a run in with some loser who seems bent on wrecking it for all of us. It makes me extra aware of how I treat other people, I always hunt public land and there is a lot of opportunity to get upset, but MOST people are downright reasoanable and we tend to forget the nice people that helped me out of the ditch and remember the jerks who try and wreck our hunts. I still think about the 2 guys who stopped years ago, helped get me out of the ditch and change a flat and i try to forget about the guy who rips past me on his 4 wheeler at 8:00 am in the woods. You bow hunters do have it rough tho, i got 4 deer this year and one time I had to track one for 25 yards!! A 7mm will do that tho.. Good luck next year.