• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motors

fly

Question

I am buying an transom mount electric trolling motor. I pretty much have the one picked out that I want. It is the Minn-kota vector with the 3x steering and you can turn the head 180 degrees with the push of a pin for back trolling or fwd trolling.

My question is this.

The max lb thrust for a 12 volt is 55lbs.
They have a 65lb and 74lb thrust that only operates on 24 volts. I currently only have one battery.

Would you reccommend going to the higher pounds and hooking up another battery? I have a 17 foot Lund and I fish the big lakes. Vermillion, Gull and Mille Lacs.

How do you wire the batteries?

Thanks,

Dan

8 answers to this question

I have a lund pro v 1775. I first tried a transom mounted motor on the back- I was very disapointed. It was I beleive 72 pounds of thrust. If I remember right it was a Riptide model-the largest one available. It was very hard to move the boat around. I switched to a front mounted model and that worked alot better. Only 55 pounds of thrust but moved the boat alot easier. I can even troll shad raps with it if it is not windy.

What year is your boat and is wired they way it came from the factory? if it is wired like the factory wired it amd it is older then a year 2000 then the wires should already be in the boat

------------------
JIM PAYNE

I have a 1775 Pro V. I highly recommend that you go with the 74lb thrust 24volt motor. I have a Vantage (propeller part goes up and down and still have the same steering) on the back and am very please with it's performance. In my opinion the Vantage is a better put together machine then the Vector but I imagine there is somewhat of a price difference between the two.

My rig is a 2000 and is pre rigged with 4 wires. 1-black, 1-red, 1-orange and 1-black with blue stripes. All I have to do is hook black/red to one battery and orange/other black to the other battery. The 24 volt jump is made in the plug that my motor plugs into.

Remember when buying a trolling moter, buy the biggest you can afford. Because, even though a moter is 74 lbs thrust you dont always have to use it on 74 lbs of thrust.. But there may be a day that you really want it.. you can never turn a 55 lb thrust up to 74 lbs... if you know what i mean.. having 24V will also give you more time on the water with battery on windy days.

I agree with Ex., purchase the largest amount of thrust you can afford in the 24v catagory. You will never regret it. My boat is an older 1775 Pro-v, and I have both, a bow mount and a transom mount and depending on the situation, will determine which one I use. If I need to use the big motor to troll, its' time to get off the water.