• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ID ??? (pics included)

hobbydog

Hobby,

This is a Muscovy hybrid cross. The Muscovy duck can range in color from pure black, to pure white, with every combination of black, white and grey, between the two shades. When released into the wild, either by choice or accident, they will often become more wild than domesticated. They will also breed quite often with mallards--according to the info that I found, Mallards seem to be the only wild ducks that they interbreed with, and even at that, it's not that often. This one does appear to have some Mallard in it (note the color on the bill and the distinct Mallard shaped head). Judging by the size I would say that this one has been bred by a wild Mallard. Often you will see these where they are crossed with a roan, and it would be quite a bit bigger than the wild ducks around it. Nice ID capture by the way.

Tom W

Having raised muscovy's as a lad I gotta believe you're right on the money Tom. I didn't much care for muscovy's because they always left piles of doo-doo under the baler and all over the yard for that matter when I needed to replace the broken pick-up teeth but I digress. I looked at Hobby's pics a long time and in particular at the bill, it's shape & the way the bill connects to the head. The bill is more blunt and less streamlined than a mallard's if one looks at the pics posted here and elsewhere. Something about that head/bill connection looked familiar too but couldn't quite place it. When muscovy's are young they are capable of flight but after they reach full size, only the hens will fly.