• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possibly buying a dog, need some advice

rundrave

Hey everyone,

After many months of research, I am finally ready to get me a hunting and fishing buddy. This will be my first true hunting dog of my own, although I have hunted over many, I am finally able to have one of my own.

I just wanted to get some last bit of input from some of you guys. When contacting a breeder on a possible purchase, what questions do I need to ask, and make sure of. Basically I want to make sure I cover all the bases before I take a dog home.

I have read the "Game Dog" by walters and there is a whole chapter on things to do when looking at pups etc. Do any of you have any other things you like to do with the dog before you purchase it.

I am meeting a breeder this weekend who is breeding a litter of GSP's for the first time, which makes me feel a little hesitant, but the breeder owns both of the parents. I am not totally set on buying a dog from them yet, but they are close, and I figure I can learn alot more, by just looking at several dogs, so really have nothing to lose by atleast going to check them out. I will get to look at both parents see how they hunt etc.

The puppies were born on 10/2. The breeder has all the papers needed to register them through AKC. Their shots and worming are all up to date. Tails and De claws done also.

Thanks for all you help, I did a search on here first but didnt really find an answer I was looking for. I have read pretty much every post on this section since I first started reading here. You guys have been very helpful with your knowledge to some of us rookies. Again thank you.

First of all, you want to make sure the parents are clear from any hip, eye, elbow or ear problems. Hips should be certified, if not I would move on. Then I would ask to see the dogs afield. Pay attention to how the dogs interact with thier owner, pay attention to how the dogs hunt. Are they determined, or going through the motions. I would ask to see them retrieve, back and just watch them in general. Buying a dog is a big time and monetary commitment, I would do as much research on the breed and the line as I could before making any final decisions. Good luck and have fun with your new partner.

I know I'll catch flack for this, but I think some of the dogs nowadays can be too 'hot', so bred for field trials that they're always hyped, especially in the labs. This is your first dog, yes you want it to be a good hunter, but you also want to have fun with it and have it be a pet, if its several generations away from field trial stock you might be better off, it will be easier to train and not so 'amped up'. As was mentioned, see how the parents interact with the owner, both around the home and in the field. Do they want to be around the owner or are they constantly hunting, even around the yard? I like the idea that you'll be seeing both parents, and if he hunts them, you know the pups will hunt.

I don't know much about dogs other than my own. My dog is as good a pet as a hunter, and that's as important as anything in our house. She's mellow around the house, and love's people. I guess I'll take that in dogs from here on out. I don't like them caged beast dogs - they're impressive in the field, but I have to imagine some are tough to live with.

I want to echo not getting a high strung dog for your first one. I am in college and I do not have the time or the place to have a high strung dog. Some things I looked at when I picked my dog. She was not jumping and barking the whole time she was in the kennel. When I took her out, she was very attentive, looking at what I was doing. The biggest thing for me was when I took the wing out. She was jumping off the ground and retrieving it like crazy. She loves birds and she goes crazy for them. When I am in the house she is a completely different dog. Very calm. Good luck in your search. I second hip certified, other health issues, and getting a look at the parents.

I've lived with dogs all of my 52 years. Labs, goldens, mutts, you name it. Loved them all. As I've aged, I've come to appreciate a more mellow dog. Figure out what kind of dog personality wise you want and research breeds. There never is a guarantee a dog will turn out as advertised but some breeds do seem to be more predictable. In our family we have a GSP that is really wired. Great dog, but she can't ever relax. Our chocolate lab was the same way till she hit 3 then mellowed out. My favorite is our english lab. Really mellow and a great companion. We have 5 english labs in my extended family and they are all low key, mellow dogs.

I guess what I'm saying is do the research. No matter what breed you pick the key is to realize spending LOTS of time with training and being with your dog is very important. It is a huge committment.

Good luck

hey guys thanks for the info.

Thing is I have been researching for several months, I must say I have learned alot, and I am amazed at how much info is really out there, and you really can never have to much info right?

I am pretty set on getting a GSP, in my opinion its the best dog for me. I know some say they are high strung, etc...but from what I have researched, I still feel this is the dog for me. I have hunted over several so believe me I know what I am getting into.

I guess I have one more question, are there any significant problems in this particular breed(GSP) I need to pay close attention to. For example, most ppl say its a must to do a hip check on labs, and I found lots of info regarding that, but have had a tough time getting some specific info on the GSP's? How common is it in this breed?

Could anyone point me to some info, or just explain it here. I know there are several GSP owners that look here.

If anyone needs to send me an email you can send it to 

thanks again

Hey Dave, I know nothing of the litter you are looking at or the breeder, so this is just a generalization, but don't put to much emphasis on the breeder having both parents. More times than not it is just a breeding of convenience and minimizing expenses. This is NOT ALWAYS the case but again more often than not. Sometimes a person has both an outstanding male and female that SHOULD be bred to gether, but most times ego, the pocket book and lack of knowledge in what 2 dogs should be bred are what formulates the breeding. Breeders who effectivley research the "right" sire and dam for pups have no problem paying travel expenses, stud fees and any other veterinary related tests to provide you with the best possible potential for your pup. The "I have a dog, you have dog" or "I own 2 great hunters" breedings do not nessacarily equate to the best possible combination for breeding. Looking at both parents "on site" should give you no more confidence than looking at pedigrees and pictures (unless you are into showing dogs). Look closely at ALL inherited disorders within the breed you are considering, (not just hips), ask what the breeders guarantee includes and is it written as a contract, are both parents and grandparents screened and cleared of these? (don't just take the breeders word, ask to see the certifications or move on), it never hurts to ask for references. A "close" by breeder again will give you little advantage over one you may have to travel a bit to get to. With cell phones and e-mail these days the gap between people is quite small.

Remember there are a lot of litters out there, don't rush into a litter, there will be another one to look at every day of the week. Also remember the cheapest part of owning a dog is the day you pay for your puppy, be it $300 or $1000. The price factored in over 11 years is minimal. You will have several hundred if not thousands of dollars in that dog by the time you begin to hunt him.

It is great to see that you are doing your research... I just wanted to throw a couple more things to consider out there for you.

Good Luck!

Ken

rudrave,

GSP's in general are a fairly healthy breed. However certain bloodlines will have more problems than others due to excessive linebreeding/inbreeding. The more tightly you breed on certain lines the more problems you may encounter. Linebreeding is used to fix traits. Unfortunately it fixes bad traits as well as good traits. I don't think the super tight linebreeding occurs as much today but it used to happen in the past. The famous Moesgaards bloodline was extremely tightly bred when it was first being developed. Both of my dogs trace back to some Moesgaards stuff. One had allergies and the other doesn't. I had another pup that had an immune system disorder and had to be put down as well. So you can see they are not without problems. Luckily I chose a good breeder and he replaced that pup with his own pick of the litter.

I've never heard of a shorthair with hip displasia or other joint problems but I know there are some out there. If you get a normal, well built shorthair from strong hunting lines that falls within the breed standards you'll probably be okay. If you get an overly large GSP (I've seen some you could saddle up and ride) I think your odds for joint problems will go up.

Remember to get a health guarantee and ask for references and call them.

I do know of a breeder who has 1 or 2 litters on the ground right now. If you are interested in having a look at those litters let me know and I'll email you.

gspman