• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just a thought????

How many of you might be interested in a photography "Get Together". It could be a morning/early afternoon of getting to meet each other as fellow photographers, and it could be a very useful time for taching/learrning from each other. I would be happy to arrange it, and I could set us up at a spot where I know for certain we would have much photographic opportunity. It would be mostly geese and ducks, but would also include songbirds, squirrels, park settings, possible sunrise opportunities, and also the occassional Eagle flies by. The geese and ducks would be numerous. If you think this might interest you, please respond to this post...It would be on a Saturday or Sunday morning, sometime in late December/Early January. Everyone would be invited and encouraged to come...Especially those of you who express an interest in photography, but feel like you could use some experienced help to give you pointers or advice. For those of you with a higher level of expertise--I would love for you to come as well--my skills only go so far, and I could use some pointers myself.

Tom W

I think that would be a blast. Let us know when you've set time, date, place. It's only about four hours from Ely to the Cities area, and my wife's got lots of rellies down there, so it could work.

One note. Holidays can get a bit hectic, with travel and guests and all. Maybe a bit later in January?

Steve,

I would have thought that given that you're that far away, you would not be able to make it. It would be great if you could make it, so let's see how many other people are interested, and I will do my best to work it so that you could definitely attend.

Tom W

Tom, just go ahead and sked it when you can and don't worry about me. Lake trout winter opener up here is mid-January, so there may not be a lot of free time. I'd say just put it on the calendar for whenver works for all you folks down there and I'll try to get there.

Tom, this sounds like a really good idea and I would be interested in attending as well. I thought about doing something similar at one point in time. My Uncle Bill would be interested as well I am sure, he has been shooting film for years and years. I would definately like to learn more about photography and I know that some of the guys on here are some of the best around. I am a huge fan of the work being posted here.

Thanks,

Tom Dobbins

Cool--I am glad to see some interest. I hope all of you will be able to make it. I will have some details soon, but for now jsut standby--this will happen. I encourage anyone and everyone to come. It will be an informative time for some, but an enjoyable time for everybody. I was there today taking photos and currently there are around 1700 Geese using the pond and around 4-500 Mallards. There was also an Eagle as I said before, they frequent the area often. Sunshine would be really nice on the day that is chosen, but I will try to plan it for at least two weeks out.

Thanks again, and encourage others,

Tom Wilson

It was a very tough day for photography, the light was out, then gone, then behind clouds, and it was late afternoon. (I much prefer morning light) Anyways, I went through photographic HE** trying to keep my exposures accurate, but I wanted to try to get you guys excited about the birds and opportunities that we will have.

The following are a few of the photos that I took yesterday afternoon. I got a couple of good ones...

dsc00577aq.jpg

dsc00598rp.jpg

dsc000791og.jpg

dsc00839mz.jpg

dsc00899yh.jpg

dsc00916dn.jpg

dsc00922mq.jpg

dsc01075ao.jpg

dsc01573cz.jpg

dsc01826uq.jpg

dsc02166mn.jpg

dsc02170ye.jpg

dsc02251dp.jpg

I hope that once I pick a date for this that it will be a gorgeous sunny day, but it will be a good time either way. Even if you don't take photos, I promise you will enjoy the sights and sounds of that many waterfowl in one place.

Tom Wilson

I know what you mean about the light yesterday. The winter sun can make it tough but when it comes together it can be spectacular. The last 2 pics have that winter sun look with the high clouds acting as a red filter. I had some good chances yesterday but never seemed have the camera set right. On this one I had a high ISO setting and was trying to hook up the tripod when a bunch started to come in on the ice.

landing2_filtered.jpg

The trick is having some good places to shoot, looks like you have a great spot...trying to guess where it is.