• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Most creative photo

Okay, with all the people taking such nice pictures I figured we needed a different idea for posting pictures. Post your most creative photo and explain what makes it creative to you. wink.gif

Heres mine. Orange stargazer on hill.JPG

It's an oriental stargazer in my backyard... I just figured a backgroung with the sky would be appropriate since after all it is a "Stargazer"

Maybe this is cheating, because it's not a single photo. But, here goes. First the image, then the "how it worked."

glassblower.jpg

The image is of a glassblower I featured in the paper last summer. I took a portrait of him in his cowboy hat against a white sky, and in photoshop removed everything but the face, neck and hat.

I superimposed it on another image to get this portrait. The other image was a collection of his bright glass work. He makes vases and other decorative glass. I set up a bunch of his pieces, put on my wide-angle zoom, slowed the shutter way down and, while the shutter was open, twisted the camera sharply and slightly counterclockwise and then clockwise. The resulting blur motion made an interesting background, and it was all of his work. With digital, I was able to look at the back of the camera to make sure I had a background that suited my purposes. Could have been done with film, too, but not with as much instant confidence that I'd gotten what I wanted.

It looks like his neck is coming up out of a T-shirt, but that's actually a bit of photoshop magic, too. The glass work toward the center of an image twisted the way I did it remains a bit sharper, so I made sure there was no glass in the middle, and the bottom center ended up looking like a tie-dyed T-shirt, so I just went with it.

It's not actually a photograph. In the newspaper business, it's considered a photo illustration.

Here's one the follows the rules. A single image of a clintonia.

clintoniabig.jpg

Clintonia, or bluebead lily, is one of the most common of north country woodland flowers. The buds open into small pastel yellow nodding flowers. This one was taken in spring, and I purposefully opened the macro lens to its widest f-stop (shallowest focusing depth-of-field) so the only sharp parts of the image are the bud cluster and the purple leading edges of the leaves.

The flower was coming up through a hole in a sheet of birch bark with the white outside facing down, leaving the peach-colored inner bark facing the camera.

great idea....Buzz!....it's been awhile since I've posted....here's a couple examples of some "creative" photos..not sure if they are necessarily my best photos but just "different" I guess...but it's fun anyway...I used "Picasa" to alter the photos..and resized them of course in photo elements...I used "focal black and white" in picasa to achieve this effect.....most programs have something similar I'm sure but I really like Picasa...fast, quick, gets the job done...here 's some examples...jonny grin.gif

tortiseshell butterfly on goldenrod:

coloredbutterflyongrey.jpg

rose hips:

redandgrey.jpg

bee on a thistle:

beeonthistlegrey.jpg

Wow Buzz,

I like the idea of this post alot, but I can't narrow this down to one photo. I'm gonna post a couple with a narrative for each--hope that's OK.

As far as just plain old photographic hard work goes these three are from possibly the toughest I've ever worked to achieve a photo. This was done in my basement studio about three months ago. I had multiple flashtands set up, plus on camera flash, a large bowl of water, a tripod, cords and wires everywhere, and a makeshift stand to support the dropper I was using to make the splashes. I took over 400 photos that morning. I didn't have anything to turn the water a different color, so I used Grenadine. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Grenadine was extremely difficult to get back off of the internal parts of my Macro lens...

image00013jm.jpg

image00021hu.jpg

image00039cw.jpg

Here's one that I took earlier this summer as well. This was taken outdoors with both natural light and flash. I was trying to find ways to emphasize the color of this flower by using different colored backgrounds. The water was due to the fact that it had just rained, but in the time this took I ended up having to add water via a spray bottle. The background is colored construction paper...

image00066gk.jpg

These are some great images. Those red images of Tom's are rich, rich, rich, and the others are very strong. My fave of Johnny's is the bumblebee/thistle, because the grayed out background is more uniform and less distracting to my eye, which draws me more quickly and firmly to the subject of the photo.

I'm also waiting to see if Canon responds to Nikon's 200D. Not because I'm in the market, just because I have a professional interest.

Canon already has newly released the 5D, a 12.8 Mp full-frame sensor DSLR, for about $3,300, putting it firmly in the realm of professional. That would be my buy if I was in the market for a new body (well, always in the market, just rarely in the budget.) Next step down from the 5D is the Canon 20D, the 8.2 Mp advanced amateur/professional body for about $1,300, and the 8 Mp Digital Rebel for a little under $800.

Nikons' D70 and D50 both are very affordable and high quality 6.1 Mp cameras with excellent features, and the new 200D, a 10.2 Mp advanced amateur/professional for about $1,700.

I doubt Canon will release a whole new body to compete, since they already have the 200D bracketed with distinct bodies (the 20D below and 5D above), but an upgrade to the 20D may fairly easily be accomplished. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Buzz: On your image that started off this excellent thread, I see the exposure is about perfectly balanced. Try saturating it slightly and darkening it slightly in photoshop or whatever program you have using mid-range levels. I think that will make it pop, and add a bit of drama to an excellent image. That's always a judgment call, and what looks right to one doesn't look right to someone else. You'll see I've overdone the saturation just a bit to make the point. Beg your pardon if it hurts an image you liked best just as you posted it.

stargazer.jpg

Thanks tom!...and steve for the kind words........sitting at the monitor here just playing with outdoor photos...going over last summers pics..guess that's why I enjoy photography so much.....brings back memories of the day you were out.....here's another"fun image"....jonny grin.gif

thingsintheswamp-1copy.jpg

Cheryl,

I am now convinced that you have been fibbing just a little about you're photography skills. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif That photo is really great, and you're computer skills are obviously up to par. Are you sure you're not just toying with the rest of us who actually have to work hard to come up with photos? By the way the framed one leaning against the wall with the teddy bear in it is great as well. I get the feeling that only the wildlife photography is new for you. You have posted a couple photos that had people in them that are way above average. Very nice, I sure am glad you started posting.

Tom W

Mike I only have one nit with this photo. I would have loved it, if the tree were not in the background. Plain sky like on the right side of the photo would have really set this off nicely. You really should try this shot at night as well. google up "painting with light" and read about how people get color out of photos at night by using small flashlights to paint their subjects in the dark. You could actually get the photo you were thinking of with black sky and stars in the background. Just an idea.

Tom W

Very cool, Jonny. Absolutely beautiful. What software do you use to isolate objects in the picture and retain their color? Are you doing layers in Photoshop and pasting a colored leaf over the B&W version of the photo?

Quote:

...I used "Picasa" to alter the photos..and resized them of course in photo elements...I used "focal black and white" in picasa to achieve this effect.....most programs have something similar I'm sure but I really like Picasa...fast, quick, gets the job done...

Never mind...guess I should've read the previous posts instead of just ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the pics. smirk.gif

Thanks Blaze!......glad you enjoyed the photos!...Went through a few more photos this morning and found one of my (if one could say"favorites"...lol!)....I've always liked the striking colors of this image and the way the leaves just happened to be placed there by nature...(guess everyone can tell I like macro photos of leaves by now!)...jonny grin.gif

DSCF3583-1-2copy.jpg