• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buddies on my shorelander

Mr. Pike1

Question

I have yet to get a definitive answer to my this question:

I have a 4 year old trailer with the bearing buddies. I have never ever had them inspected or repacked. I monitor them after every few trips on the road and add lube as needed. It seems to me that I add quite a bit each year. Is it possible I have a seal issue? If so how would I know. Any recommendations? My boat is ready but the last issue I would like is a problem with this to land me on the side of the road.

11 answers to this question

Yep you'll see grease slung on the inside of the rim.
Your going to hear how guys have gone years without any maintenance to their bearings but if it were my trailer I do it now instead of the on the side of the road on opening weekend. smile.gif

What Barry G said is true.

Also, if you fill bearing buddies all the way full when cold, the grease has to go somewhere when it gets warm and expands. Usually through the inner seals.

4 years is a long time to go without having bearings inspected and repacked. Keeping the buddies full of grease is not the same thing. I'd recommend getting them repacked, if nothing else for the peace of mind (pretty cheap insurance).

Good luck.

I just ran out to the garage to check the rims. Help me out here when you say inside of the rims. I have the rubber cover over the actual bearing buddies and when I take these off I can definatly see lube escaping. When I fill these I usually fill them up to the point that a bit starts to ooz out.

thus far I have lubed all the moving parts in my boat, changed the lower unit oil, changed the plug, cleaned out some sand I noticed that was blocking my water flow, discarded my trolling motor battery and replaced with new one and added another smaller back up just in case, add added a new piece of electronics.

Who might you recommend to inspect/repack the bearings. I live in Maplewood.

Thank you

You need to look on the back side of the rim oposite of the bearing buddy.If there is a lot of grease you might have a bad seal.If you pump to much grease in the buddy it will push it threw not necessarily ruining the seal.I foud this out years ago I was filling them full and ended up filling up my brake drums.My brake pads wernt rusty tho.Now when I put grease in them I only put enough to colapse the spring about half way.

The outside of your hub and rim is the side you can see. The inside of your hub and rim is the side you cant see next to your springs. smile.gif Thats the side your seal is on and if its bad you'll see grease slung on the rim from centrifugal force.

If Huskminn is in your area I recommend him. grin.gif

Mr. Pike1: They mean to check the inside/backside of the wheels. However if you have brakes on your trailer, you will have to pull the tire/wheel and the brake drum if equipped with drum brakes. If you have disc brakes then pulling the tire/wheel may be all that is needed. If the brake shoes are coated with grease and grime you may have to replace the linings. If just a small amount of grease is on them, you can get a brake cleaner avalaible at the auto parts store. If you are unable to do this yourself,the place where you bought your boat or reliable auto repair shop. It may pay to check around though. Alot of the marinas and boat repair places are very busy this time of year.

Good Luck!

Depending how mechanical you are repacking the bearings is a pretty easy do it yourself job and will only cost the price of 2 rear seals and some grease.Around $10.If you take it to a shop expect much more.The hardest or trickiest part is removing and replacing the rear seal.Do you know someone that could help you?If not and you want to try I or someone else here could probably tell you how to do it. I am leaving for the weekend but I could give you some tips on monday.Good luck

I've usually had my bearings repacked at brake shop that normally works on automobiles. Not too expensive, and at least that way it gets done (I never seem to get around to doing them myself).