• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will picked beans affect hunting

Young Gun

I hunt on the edge of a bean field and they picked it this weekend. Will that affect the deer at all. Most of the time they come threw the beans will they come fromm a different direction now. Should I change up my stratigy at all.

Thanks

Often you will find deer will prefer the picked beans. Being fragile, the beans lose quite a few from the pods when they get shook open in the combine head and some will go thru with the chaf. Deer will tend to feed faster in picked beans because they can see better and dislodged beans are light against the ground and chaf. If you can keep geese away that field will still draw deer.

The first few nights of any picked field (beans or corn) is a hot field to hunt. I'd keep a stand or ground blind ready so that you can hunt these area's right away. As the season progresses, you might be better off being a short distance in the woods if the deer are getting to the field late. The more pressure they have the later they will arrive.

Young Gun- I usually watch how the deer react with picked fields.Where I hunt in North Dakota there is very little corn in the area I hunt.This year I have been hunting mainly the bean field edges about 75-100 yards into the woods on a main trail.Doing this will get you a earlier shot at a deer and they are less likly to see you.About 2 weeks ago the deer were mostly going to the bean fields and very few to the alfalfa fields.Last week I noticed that the deer, about 50 percent were moving to the alfalfa from the beans and the beans were not combined yet.When the beans get combined the deer will hang out ther,but many will change to a different food source.Almost always I will hunt the beans or corn until combined and then move to the alfalfa,not to say that the beans or corn will not have some deer.If you keep a note book every year on how the deer movement is affected by the combining of different crops the next year you will have a pretty good idea where to start looking for them.Good Luck.