• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which solo portable to get?

jphersh22

I have a Ranger XLTwin but am looking to get a solo model that would be easier to take in and out of my pickup on my own. I saw both a Frabil Ulta Lite and a HT Escape Express on sale recently and wondered if anyone had any opinions on these? I believe the Frabil was $128 and the HT was $159.

I really don't believe either of those houses will stand up to many seasons of use. I think HT and Frabill make good products, but I am not impressed with those particular models. The tubs seem flimsy and the fabric feels like it would be prone to tears.

The Fish Trap Pro, the Otter Den, or the Otter Cottage would be the houses that I would consider. Tough fabric, tough tubs, and plenty of gear capcity without the burden of weight make those houses stand out in my mind.

However, you mention the easy to load into a truck factor. None of those three are easy. They're all awkward. Anyone have any tips for loading? A friend of mine uses a long rug anchored to the bed of his truck to help lift his house in. Another uses ramp. Those tricks work, but two people lifting together works quite a bit better.

For a solo portable, either the Fish Trap Scout or Pro will fit you fine... The tubs are the same for either unit, where the frame/ice armor fabric is situated differently on the two.

The Pro will give you more room inside the shack, has a removable swiveling cushioned seat, a moveable console to store various gear, and more great storage compartments in the shack. 53lbs for this fine unit, so it can easily be loaded by one guy.

The Scout, has less amenities, but still has great comfort for a one man shack and weighs 47lbs. I find it is a little easier loading into the truck just from the design.

I own a Scout and have been very happy with the unit for early ice applications. This year I will also have a Pro as they do have a little bit more room for when I am using a longer rod (ie Lake Trout fishing).

Check them out, you won't be dissapointed!!

I use a 2x6 with a metal lip on it to load my fish trap guide and it works slick, just get in the back of the truck and pull the house into the truck bed and your done. you could even use a 2 x 4 but it would not balance the house very well when pulling or pushing it into your truck. I saw gander mountain had some FT pro' kinda spendy, around 280, I didn't see how much their scouts were.

I would also stay away from the lighter canvas shacks, after a few years you won't have much of a shack left.

Good luck on the house hunting.

I picked up a HT solo last year when Walmart was closing them out. Even before the good deal I found the HT had more bang for the buck! Great material and it has a door (which I think is a must) 4 windows and came with a VERY comfortable triangle seat. So far the zipper never froze like the new BLUE one I had for two weeks last year. I'd buy another HT.

For a solo unit I'd go Fish Trap Guide if you're at all interested in that line. If you're alone you'll have plenty of room. But, for the occasion where a buddy, or a kid, or whomever wants to join the fun, there is room. Kinda tight with 2 adults, but still room.

Light, sets up in seconds. I like mine.

I ran a LX-3 and line in one hole, an aqua vu in another, a heater, and a minnow bucket all in front of me and had plenty of room behind in the tub. To load it I can flip it down, pick it up by the sides and lift it completely off the ground to load it in my old Suburban without dropping the tailgate. I still like using a pail or the HT triangle seat because they don't add weight or take up room in the tub like one with seat rails.

Scott ND....how heavy duty is the fabric? is it canvas or garbage bag/tarp material? will it fit in a trunk of an older car? of course with the trunk open with tie downs on it width wise I mean also would a sunflower heater with a 20lb tank fit?

thanks