• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do?

Chris_Wallace

So what is everyone's plans for this weekend?

Saturday night I will be down at Elko, have to take the docks out in the morning. Here are my options:

Option 1:

Hunt over a soybean field, any wind will work but one direction that may cause problems is one blowing to the northeast. Prefer wind to blow north or west. So far it's still green, and they are still using it.

Option 2:

Hunt over a corner of a standing cornfield, again any wind will work but one blowing south east will be the one I care for least. Most of the tracks are walking east from the cornfield, lots of tracks with a couple big ones.

Option 3:

Hunt the crossing between the cornfield and soybean field, to the field edge of either field is 21 yards, trails at 14, 28 yards. In a ground blind on a finger of woods sticking out. Lots of tracks, but mostly small ones Wind is not a concern.

Option 4:

Hunt the apple trees that has been holding the biggest buck I have seen on the property scraping them to all hell. Sitting in a duck nesting spot in the middle of the pond with a ground blind, wind is not a concern.

The possibilities are there, just picking now.

Option 2's probably out, looks like SE wind for Saturday evening according to the forecast.

I'd probably choose Option #1 if it's a tree stand, as it wouldn't be my preference to open the season on the ground, but I love getting up in the trees, plus those beans won't be green for long.

Options 3 & 4 certainly sound like solid choices. If you really think you've got a good buck figured out, it's kind of hard not to go for him right away, as his habits will change soon most likely with the season. Speaking from experience though, it does suck to burn your buck tag the first week of the season. I've done it twice, once on the first Sunday morning, last year on the first Tuesday night.

Tough choices all, but I being the horn hunter would opt for option four. Plus, if you know the big guy is there better to hunt him early before he gets smart and figures its hunting season again and time to go nocturnal. Second choice would be to hunt the beans. Either way good luck Chris.

Good call Chris and good luck. I would have said the same about the beans for now. I've got the same situation, except my stand is just on this side of the bean field. A small row a tree's are in between me and the beans but I can see an "express" highway where they have been walking to and fro.

Plus from my stand I can see a spot I think the deer are using and can put my buddy in that spot later in the day or early the next day.

Sounds like you've got some good opportunities....good luck!