• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was just wondering if and where there were any fishing opportunities around sioux falls, I'm originally from minnesota so I'm used to lakes around every corner, just thought I might like to wet a line down here sometime so I was just wondering where I might be able to do that... Thanx!

Not sure on any specifics about Sioux Falls other than the catdfish bite on the Big Sioux River. I have only fished north on town but the cats can be big!

There are some lakes in the Madison area that can be hot as the season progresses. I am about 70 miles NW of Sioux falls and we have legendary Lake Thompson right close as well as some smaller kaes and ponds that when the timing is right can be downright fenominal. (sp)

mw

Well your going to miss the proximity of the many lakes Mn has to offer, I sure do. I just moved back to sioux falls after living in cities for a few years.

Your not completely out of luck, but the fishing doesnt compare for the sioux falls area. The closest lakes that first come to mind, are Lake Alvin just south east of sioux falls, Wall Lake west of sioux falls, and Lake vermillion which is North West.

There are also rivers(Big Sioux, James, and some other sloughs and ponds) hopefully some one can give you a little more info.

As mentioned, Lake Thompson is a good probably a little over and hour, otherwise there is Lake Madison, Lake Herman, Lake Brandt chain about an hour north.

I havent fished any of these bodies of water recently so maybe someone else could chime in with some reports or some tips. I just havent made time this summer to get out, but for sure will be spending alot of time on the ice once hard water hits.

Good luck to you, and let us know how you do if you make it out.

I appreciate all the information you guys are able to give me, this past weekend some buddies and me went up to lake vermillion and threw rapalas off of the shore... Didn't catch anything but another guy there fishing said he gets walleyes there all the time... Is there walleyes in that lake and if so are there any ways to have a chance at getting them from shore? Would lake Vermillion be my best bet for a shot at an 'eye?

Lake Vermillion has always been a tough lake for me to catch fish. A few times I have gotten my limit of walleyes, but that isn't very often over the last 30 yrs. I seem to do better early spring wading the swimming beach with a jig and a minnow. Good Luck!

Hey thanks alot! Sounds like its a challange, but hey its better than not fishing at all... I think if its nice the next couple of days I might try it down there... I went to the swimming beach and boat launch last nite to check it out and see what it looked like... How far was I from the little dam on that lake? I heard there was one there and at times it was worth checkin out... Thanks alot for the help, I really appreciate it!

just to the west of the swimming beach is the highway bridge. Most people fish on the east side of the bridge but both sides can be a good area in the later evening/night time. I've never done well on that lake during day hours but it does seem to put out some good eyes late in the day and after dark if you can go then.

Hey thanks alot, that sounds good... Seems like that was the case with a river I fished back at home from shore, the eyes just wouldn't hit until the evening... It got really cold today so I might have missed my chance to fish, but that sounds like something I'd like to try next spring or something so again thanks for helping me out, I appreciate the information!