• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good rod holders

Havin' Fun

Question

9 answers to this question

I use the ram holders they have performed flawlessly since 1999. I like the fact that they hold a spinning rod or baitcaster with ease and they are raised up so they're not so close to gunnel etc... I have speedtrolled muskie sized crankbaits with no problems yet. Long poles make good shock absorbers.. I think S Steil also uses these type.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Hammer,

I'm with Paul on this one for sure- the Ram rod holders are pretty tough to beat. I've got two Rams and two others in my boat and always use the Ram holders. Give em a shot and you'll be happy with them.
Scoot

I switched to RAMs after my NEW rod and reel combo went kerplunk on Lake Pepin last June. The torque of pulling planer boards and the scotty/cabelas rod holders was just too much. The notches in the holder wore out and the rod and reel went flying.

There is a happy ending. I spun the boat around and caught up with the off shore planer board and slowly pulled in the rod and reel.

I notice nobody has mention "Driftmaster". I use them exclusively for our kitties and Sturgeon on the Red and Wpg Rivers. There have been several times when we had double and triple headers and I had to put a rod with a fish on (25+ lb) back in the rod holder and it had NO problem. These Driftmaster are rather cheap but very strong and easy to get your rod out quickly and quietly. They are so strong I have seen guys use them to tie their boats up. They are not plastic and stand up to our abuse.

Cabels's 360s are great for the walleye fishing. I have them on my boat and love them. I would not recomend them for trolling for muskie/northern as they would not take that hard of a hit. If you are trolling for this species you should go to the type used for trout/salmon on the great lakes. Other than that the 360s from Cabela's are a great piece of equipment at a resonable price and are available in 3 different colors.